The Student Room Group

A level help

I'm a year 11 student who wants to take Biology, Chemistry and Psychology for A level. Because GCSEs have been cancelled, I want to get prepared for A level content. Does anyone have any advice on how to do so? Especially psychology as it will be new to me.
Reply 1
Original post by mxhnoor.v
I'm a year 11 student who wants to take Biology, Chemistry and Psychology for A level. Because GCSEs have been cancelled, I want to get prepared for A level content. Does anyone have any advice on how to do so? Especially psychology as it will be new to me.

I didn't do those A Levels but this still applies: Have a look at what exam board you're with, then have a look through the actual specification to familiarise yourself with the content. I wouldn't suggest diving in and trying to teach yourself brand new AS/A2 content - there's a good chance you might not teach yourself properly, plus you'll go over it again in lesson so it's wasted time imo.

I'd suggest looking at what really carries over from the GCSE to A Level, because you can then use your existing foundation to build and start to understand some new content. In physics, for example, Gravity wasn't really in the GCSE so I'd rather have just let an actual teacher introduce me to it, but electricity was in the GCSE - so it was straightforward to have a look at how electricity differed from GCSE->A Level
Reply 2
Original post by tmr19
I didn't do those A Levels but this still applies: Have a look at what exam board you're with, then have a look through the actual specification to familiarise yourself with the content. I wouldn't suggest diving in and trying to teach yourself brand new AS/A2 content - there's a good chance you might not teach yourself properly, plus you'll go over it again in lesson so it's wasted time imo.

I'd suggest looking at what really carries over from the GCSE to A Level, because you can then use your existing foundation to build and start to understand some new content. In physics, for example, Gravity wasn't really in the GCSE so I'd rather have just let an actual teacher introduce me to it, but electricity was in the GCSE - so it was straightforward to have a look at how electricity differed from GCSE->A Level

Thanks, that's really helpful (:
Reply 3

No worries :smile:. As I say, I genuinely wouldn't bother trying to teach yourself anything substantial as it's that big of a leap from Y11-12 that you'll probably end up confusing yourself and not helping yourself. If anything I'd probably just consolidate GCSE knowledge until you're 100% confident on all of it, that'll likely be more helpful.

Summer of Y12-13 is where you can properly get ahead imo, as you're more up to speed on how in depth the A Level is and what's expected of you.
Reply 4
Original post by tmr19
No worries :smile:. As I say, I genuinely wouldn't bother trying to teach yourself anything substantial as it's that big of a leap from Y11-12 that you'll probably end up confusing yourself and not helping yourself. If anything I'd probably just consolidate GCSE knowledge until you're 100% confident on all of it, that'll likely be more helpful.

Summer of Y12-13 is where you can properly get ahead imo, as you're more up to speed on how in depth the A Level is and what's expected of you.

I want to focus on the subjects that I haven't studied in depth before, like Psychology, and familiarise with them instead of teaching myself the content and overloading myself with it like you advised not to do. Thank you :smile:
Reply 5
I want to focus on the subjects that I haven't studied in depth before, like Psychology, and familiarise with them instead of teaching myself the content and overloading myself with it like you advised not to do. Thank you :smile:

That's the best way to approach it - I did that for economics as I'd had little prior experience with it. Even something simple like learning all the key terminology goes a long way

Check you have completed the GCES specification first - have you school set you work? We usually set pre-A level work for the summer.
There are some CGP headstart to A level books you could look at. I didn’t find them that helpful as it was mostly like revision but given you’ve got so long off and won’t have the intense revision months it could be worth a look. You could see what’s available on YouTube and just watch a few videos on things you’re going to be studying so that you’re already familiar with it
Reply 8
Original post by Sophhhowa
There are some CGP headstart to A level books you could look at. I didn’t find them that helpful as it was mostly like revision but given you’ve got so long off and won’t have the intense revision months it could be worth a look. You could see what’s available on YouTube and just watch a few videos on things you’re going to be studying so that you’re already familiar with it

Thank you for the advice, I'll take it on board :smile:
I know there is one for maths but you’ll have to check for the subjects you’ll do, but CGP go a head start to “” workbooks which are pretty good at helping you go over GCSES and a little taste to a level
Definitely go over your GCSE material and make sure you have the best foundation in that as you can. Maybe look at some overview videos on youtube but I wouldn't divulge yourself in the content right now until you have gotten to the point you have nothing to do. The Headstart to biology and chemistry is a good shout since its free on amazon kindle edition. If you do get to that point, maybe look at Seneca learning or the specification and look into further research in the topics it mentions

Here’s piece of advice for A levels, give yourself PLENTY of time to revise before any exam. You can’t revise for a levels a few days before and expect to get a great result. Please don’t make that mistake even in your mocks because they’re a good indication of what you’ll actually get.

Quick Reply

Latest