The Student Room Group

Fine Art: Slade or CSM? (I cant choose ahhhh)

Hey Guyss!! I'm really grateful because I got accepted into all five courses that I applied for, but now the hard part is obviously deciding which offer I should accept.

So I got into:
- CSM Fine Art
- Slade Fine Art
- Goldsmiths Fine Art
- Chelsea Fine Art

And another course at CSM. I am currently doing Foundation at CSM and I really like it and would like to stay here, but I’m having some doubts. I heard that Slade is the best art school and that makes me tempted to go there, but at the same time, I really like the CSM vibe. I also heard good stuff about Goldsmiths but I dont think I like it. And I really dont want to go to Chelsea.

Please give me some advice to help me choose

Thank youuuuu xx
Reply 1
Hey, I'm an international student - would love to know more about the same topic. I applied to MFA in Slade / Goldsmith so I'm also looking to understand whats the scene.

I'm inclined to go to Goldsmith mostly because you can also attend other classes.
Reply 2
Original post by Negarix
Hey Guyss!! I'm really grateful because I got accepted into all five courses that I applied for, but now the hard part is obviously deciding which offer I should accept.

So I got into:
- CSM Fine Art
- Slade Fine Art
- Goldsmiths Fine Art
- Chelsea Fine Art

And another course at CSM. I am currently doing Foundation at CSM and I really like it and would like to stay here, but I’m having some doubts. I heard that Slade is the best art school and that makes me tempted to go there, but at the same time, I really like the CSM vibe. I also heard good stuff about Goldsmiths but I dont think I like it. And I really dont want to go to Chelsea.

Thank youuuuu xx

Is there any certain questions you have? i can maybe help to answer them. Because i attended a summer school at both slade and goldsmiths, and went to insights for the csm fine art ba.

Personally for me, its always been either slade or goldsmiths. Its probably because i like the idea of going to a university that has a range of undergraduates, and the experiences of meeting others who do other courses. A community ual doesnt really have as all student are creative. Plus slade and goldsmiths have the best alumni. So in my mind the best opportunities later on in life.

When i went for my chelsea interview there was a more homely aspect to it, that i never experienced at csm. I felt like csm is a very fashionable place that might knock my self confidence. I like the idea of going somewhere that doesnt have a huge cohort like csm. And chelsea seems in my mind to be better for fine art.

These are all my personal opinions from my experiences with all the diffrent campuses.
Just go with your heart. The place you think you will be able to thrive and feel comfortable.
Reply 3
Good comments / replies. I think it also depends to some extent on the kind of art you're making ie is their a main medium that you use, is your approach more conceptual or technical, are you multi-disciplinary, do you draw on a broad base of art forms. In terms of alumni as a reflection of course quality, and focus on graduation, I'd say the Slade and Goldsmiths are much better courses - you'll fine the quality of students on the BA at Chelsea and especially CSM far more varied than Slade / Goldsmiths. I'd say CSM is the weakest link - get out of your comfort zone - you're an artist!
Reply 4
Original post by JanMay
Good comments / replies. I think it also depends to some extent on the kind of art you're making ie is their a main medium that you use, is your approach more conceptual or technical, are you multi-disciplinary, do you draw on a broad base of art forms. In terms of alumni as a reflection of course quality, and focus on graduation, I'd say the Slade and Goldsmiths are much better courses - you'll fine the quality of students on the BA at Chelsea and especially CSM far more varied than Slade / Goldsmiths. I'd say CSM is the weakest link - get out of your comfort zone - you're an artist!

Hey - would you have any comments on the differences between Slade and Goldsmith? I'm looking for a MFA school to really push the limits of the work and challenge my practice.. From what I've read Goldsmith seems more conceptual and Slade more formal, any comments on it would be helpful
Reply 5
I don't think those distinctions are as clear at MA level and in relation to those two institutions. By an MA any students practice that is engaged with contemporary art should be considering both aspects and MA's that teach around contemporary practice such as Slade and Goldsmiths should provide ample discourse in these areas. The selection of your MA should be based around your practice. RCA is of course another great post grad London choice. There are quite a few.
That's really impressive well done!! sorry to ask but by any chance do you have examples of the work you applied with, I'm struggling to figure out what level I work at and if it's any good!! just thought I'd ask :smile:
Original post by Negarix

So I got into:
- CSM Fine Art
- Slade Fine Art
- Goldsmiths Fine Art
- Chelsea Fine Art

Thank youuuuu xx

Quick Reply

Latest