Anneka1990
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Was just wondering if anyone had any revision techniques that work for them or are helpful for uni exams. At the moment I’m in first year and have only had multiple choice questions both last semester and this semesters mocks. My problem is that in all 3 of the real exams/mocks I have averaged around 40% whereas in written assignments or presentations I’m averaging in the 70’s/80’s. Clearly doing something wrong with the way I revise, any advice would be appreciated as our uni’s study skills doesn’t cover revision technique.
Last edited by Anneka1990; 6 months ago
Anneka1990
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anneka1990)
Was just wondering if anyone had any revision techniques that work for them or are helpful for uni exams. At the moment I’m in first year and have only had multiple choice questions both last semester and this semesters mocks. My problem is that in all 3 of the real exams/mocks I have averaged around 40% whereas in written assignments or presentations I’m averaging in the 70’s/80’s. Clearly doing something wrong with the way I revise, any advice would be appreciated as our uni’s study skills doesn’t cover revision techniques
Just realised I posted this is GCSE’s, sorry, not sure how to move!
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi
I found this hard as well at first

I think it’s important to also use seminar practice questions as a resource and have it checked so you can see what you’re doing wrong and how to improve.

My revision technique is very standard- I’m a law student so I just revise one topic at a time then make detailed notes, do more research around the topic to get an academic opinion (for a better understanding)

I pretty much use the revision techniques that I used at a-level which was mindmaps, highlighting key information, making notes and memorising.

The best thing for me while I revise is to do some practice questions and have my module leader look over them

What revision techniques are you currently using?

Devina
Anneka1990
Rep:
?
Hi Devina, thanks for the reply/advice!
The way I revise atm is to just take as many notes as I can during lectures especially anything extra said not on the slides. Then I’ll write this up along with a few extra notes from books and put them in separate folders for each module. Tbf most of my notes are just regurgitating the lectures so maybe this is where I’m going wrong. Mind maps sound like a good idea and easier to remember key information and make connections between info rather than just trying to remember pages and pages of writing! Thank you.
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anneka1990)
Hi Devina, thanks for the reply/advice!
The way I revise atm is to just take as many notes as I can during lectures especially anything extra said not on the slides. Then I’ll write this up along with a few extra notes from books and put them in separate folders for each module. Tbf most of my notes are just regurgitating the lectures so maybe this is where I’m going wrong. Mind maps sound like a good idea and easier to remember key information and make connections between info rather than just trying to remember pages and pages of writing! Thank you.
No problem!

I think you’re right about making connections and not just regurgitating notes because a lot of my lecturers tell me that they do not want to see that. I think regurgitating may work for some modules but definitely not all of them.

Anyway Happy revision:banana:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads