Goldenparadise
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I did an internship at small unknown consulting firm a few years ago. My issues is that the company provided reference once for me which wasn't an issue and I had to ask them again (a second time) and they didn't want to provide this so I had literally beg because my start got push back. I removed the experience from my CV as result of the issue. My consulting internship was very detail I pretty much worked alongside big consulting firms and focused on oil and commodities. I'm wondering now if I should put this back on my CV, but If I do I have no one who's willing to provide reference (to confirm that I actually did that at the company).
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Goldenparadise)
So I did an internship at small unknown consulting firm a few years ago. My issues is that the company provided reference once for me which wasn't an issue and I had to ask them again (a second time) and they didn't want to provide this so I had literally beg because my start got push back. I removed the experience from my CV as result of the issue. My consulting internship was very detail I pretty much worked alongside big consulting firms and focused on oil and commodities. I'm wondering now if I should put this back on my CV, but If I do I have no one who's willing to provide reference (to confirm that I actually did that at the company).
Did they give you a reason for why they did not want to give a reference a second time?
Goldenparadise
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Did they give you a reason for why they did not want to give a reference a second time?
He didn't provide a reason. I assume it's because it was only a 3 months internship and he was ok with providing this once but anything after that he didn't really want to be bothered. Also it was unpaid.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
He didn't provide a reason. I assume it's because it was only a 3 months internship and he was ok with providing this once but anything after that he didn't really want to be bothered. Also it was unpaid.
That's a bit of a difficult one. If it was a big company, I'd usually suggest you contacted HR or someone else for a reference, but if it's a small company then it's not going to work. Also, a reference is often 'declined' when the company would actually give you a bad reference, but doesn't want to get involved in any potential legal hassle, so they just 'decline' to give you one. This doesn't sound like your situation either. It sounds, basically, like he just can't be arsed to do it, which is a bit unprofessional.

I'd still keep the work experience on the CV because it's valuable and enriches it. Have you had a job since then? If you have, then that's easy, as you can use them, plus an academic reference (if you have one, and you're not that far out from full-time education).
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'd put it on your CV. I'd be surprised if anyone would want a reference for a 12 week internship taken years ago.
Goldenparadise
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
That's a bit of a difficult one. If it was a big company, I'd usually suggest you contacted HR or someone else for a reference, but if it's a small company then it's not going to work. Also, a reference is often 'declined' when the company would actually give you a bad reference, but doesn't want to get involved in any potential legal hassle, so they just 'decline' to give you one. This doesn't sound like your situation either. It sounds, basically, like he just can't be arsed to do it, which is a bit unprofessional.

I'd still keep the work experience on the CV because it's valuable and enriches it. Have you had a job since then? If you have, then that's easy, as you can use them, plus an academic reference (if you have one, and you're not that far out from full-time education).
Reference is just to confirm the date I list on my CV that is it. I've had two job since then but I was explaining something recently to potential employer my understand of new technology development within the oil sector and the person asked/suggested why I didn't list it on my CV. During that time of the internship,I had a part time job so I decided to keep my old part time job instead of using the internship at that company.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Reference is just to confirm the date I list on my CV that is it. I've had two job since then but I was explaining something recently to potential employer my understand of new technology development within the oil sector and the person asked/suggested why I didn't list it on my CV. During that time of the internship,I had a part time job so I decided to keep my old part time job instead of using the internship at that company.
I think that's all fine then, and as Admit-One says, it's really not very likely that someone would insist on seeking a reference for a twelve-week internship anyway.
Goldenparadise
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
I'd put it on your CV. I'd be surprised if anyone would want a reference for a 12 week internship taken years ago.
It was two years ago but the most recent company asked for it and when they couldn't get a response my start date was push back. I guess I'm just trying to avoid any issues.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (142)
62.01%
I don't have everything I need (87)
37.99%

Watched Threads