Latin/Ancient Greek online tuition/help

Watch
Alexis Em
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello there. I'd like to offer (free) online help with the above subjects-as a way of doing my own revision and to give me some teaching practice. I'm a mature undergraduate with teaching qualifications and experience and I'm retraining in Classics.
dorotheapenguin
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

Thank you for offering help. My school doesn't do Latin so I am trying to teach it to myself and really struggling. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice how to improve grammar.
Alexis Em
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by dorotheapenguin)
Hi!

Thank you for offering help. My school doesn't do Latin so I am trying to teach it to myself and really struggling. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice how to improve grammar.
Hi! What books are you using? (Cambridge/Oxford LC, John Taylor’s Latin to GCSE or another course?) How far have you got? What do you find difficult about grammar? Without knowing this, I can only make general comments:

1.Take a small chunk of grammar at a time.
2.Try to understand what point is being made.
3.Learn any new endings.
4.Practise recognising the new material*
5. Apply what you now know by translating and checking your answers.

*(e.g. If endings for the Imperfect tense have been given, then look at the given example sentences, pick out the verbs, look at their endings, identify the person i.e. he/ you/they, then identify those that are in the Imperfect tense. If you have learnt only two tenses so far and the Imperfect is the third, then the process of elimination will also help you to arrive at the right answer.)

Latin is all about practice.-You can make this fun by using Memrise, Quizlet, Quia etc. and other sites which I’m sure you know well.
I have just signed up to use Bramble the online platform for tutoring stuff, so once I get the hang of it, this might be useful for answering questions in depth.
Lizzillo
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dorotheapenguin)
Hi!

(Original post by JayTutor01)
How can I help? PM me
(Original post by Alexis Em)
Hi! What books are you using? (Cambridge/Oxford LC, John Taylor’s Latin to GCSE or another course?) How far have you got? What do you find difficult about grammar? Without knowing this, I can only make general comments:

3.Learn any new endings.

*(e.g. If endings for the Imperfect tense have been given, then look at the given example sentences, pick out the verbs, look at their endings, identify the person i.e. he/ you/they, then identify those that are in the Imperfect tense. If you have learnt only two tenses so far and the Imperfect is the third, then the process of elimination will also help you to arrive at the right answer.)

Latin is all about practice.-You can make this fun by using Memrise, Quizlet, Quia etc. and other sites which I’m sure you know well.
I have just signed up to use Bramble the online platform for tutoring stuff, so once I get the hang of it, this might be useful for answering questions in depth.
I recommend John Taylor book too: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/latin-...9781780934402/

It really breaks the grammar down and gives you exercises to do, and the answers can be gotten from the website to double check yourself. It's the book my uni uses for its Intro Latin modules and I've found it really easy to self study with!
dorotheapenguin
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Alexis Em)

3.Learn any new endings.

Thank you so much for the advise! I will take this on board
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
10.61%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.52%
Finding the time to revise (6)
9.09%
Finding the motivation (14)
21.21%
Getting distracted (12)
18.18%
Procrastination (26)
39.39%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads