The Student Room Group

Extracurriculars for 2021 entry

I’m wanting to apply for biochemistry in 2021 and I’m just wondering what kind of extracurriculars I can do to put on my personal statement. So far I’ve started to read books about the subject and did some research on MRSA. Any suggestions would be appreciated
You could look at some online lectures or some TED talks. You could do essay comps/ projects. You could read academic reports/articles on JSTOR or SSRN. You could do an EPQ if your school offers that. You could look at the biology and chemistry section of: https://www.myheplus.com/
Original post by Sprout67
I’m wanting to apply for biochemistry in 2021 and I’m just wondering what kind of extracurriculars I can do to put on my personal statement. So far I’ve started to read books about the subject and did some research on MRSA. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi there!

It's great to hear you are interested in applying for biochemistry next year :smile:

Regarding extra-curricular activities it is wise to demonstrate wider reading, so yes, reading journal articles on JSTOR are great, but Google Scholar is a free convenient tool to use (sometimes to access academic journals you need access, which can cost). However, volunteering in the local area and general work experience is another way to showcase skills and makes you stand out from other applicants. (The current covid situation can make it difficult to acquire work experience right this month, but who knows, hopefully by September things will be different!)

Before submitting my personal statement, I identified key attributes what the universities were looking for and see how I could match it with my own experiences too. Right now I am in my final year of Business Management, which involves a lot of analysing data, commercial awareness, leadership and teamwork. So I made sure my extracurricular activities reflected those.

But the most important thing is to get your personality across! For me, I put down my love for Japanese culture; it is something small but again shows a different side to you.

I hope this helps and wishing you the very best with your application! :smile:

Meg
Business Management student
Coventry University
Reply 3
You could consider doing an online course e.g. Futurelearn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending