The Student Room Group

Graphs and Transformations

Why is the transformation that maps the graph of y = 4x^2+3 onto y= x^2 + 3, equal to stretch parallel to the x axis with scale factor 2?

Here's my workings:
Change only being applied to x so its along the x axis
It is a division of 4 so sf.0.25

Why is this wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by Hollymae764
Why is the transformation that maps the graph of y = 4x^2+3 onto y= x^2 + 3, equal to stretch parallel to the x axis with scale factor 2?

Here's my workings:
Change only being applied to x so its along the x axis
It is a division of 4 so sf.0.25

Why is this wrong?

picture pleeease.
Reply 2
Original post by β0b
picture pleeease.

wait no, gimme a sec.
Reply 3
Original post by β0b
wait no, gimme a sec.

I used desmos. it does get larger, which makes sense, as it is inside the function meaning it does the opposite. because you are dividing by 4, it must be multiplied by 4. the one thing which gets me is the scale factor of 2.
Reply 4
the blue is the second the red is the first.
Im still confused is there an algebraic rule you have to follow?
Reply 6
When you stretch a graph along the x-axis, you would usually have to consider a graph of y=f(ax), or in this case, y=(ax)^2 + 3. The mutiplier a strictly applies to the value of x, not x^2. Therefore, y = 4x^2 + 3 should first be written as y = (2x)^2 + 3 before you can compare it to y = x^2 + 3. With that you should be able to deduce the correct answer.
Reply 7
Original post by nzy
When you stretch a graph along the x-axis, you would usually have to consider a graph of y=f(ax), or in this case, y=(ax)^2 + 3. The mutiplier a strictly applies to the value of x, not x^2. Therefore, y = 4x^2 + 3 should first be written as y = (2x)^2 + 3 before you can compare it to y = x^2 + 3. With that you should be able to deduce the correct answer.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagic
so just to double check

if you went from y = x^2 + 3 to y= 4x^2 +3
it would be a stretch along the x axis sf 0.5
Original post by Hollymae764
so just to double check

if you went from y = x^2 + 3 to y= 4x^2 +3
it would be a stretch along the x axis sf 0.5

Yep.

Quick Reply

Latest