The Student Room Group

One-year A levels

Hi there,
I want to ask if anyone knows about a college in UK which offers doing full A levels in just one year. The problem is money... the cheaper the better.
Thanks for your answers.
Original post by michaelahud18
Hi there,
I want to ask if anyone knows about a college in UK which offers doing full A levels in just one year. The problem is money... the cheaper the better.
Thanks for your answers.

Have you done a levels before? Are you looking to retake?
Original post by romena.cia
Have you done a levels before? Are you looking to retake?

No, i haven’t. I am an EU student, so this would be my first year studying A-levels. Time is really not my friend right now, that’s why I want to do A levels in just one year.
No, i haven’t. I am an EU student, so this would be my first year studying A-levels. Time is really not my friend right now, that’s why I want to do A levels in just one year.

What levels would you want to do? I wouldn't advise doing sciences in a year.
Original post by romena.cia
What levels would you want to do? I wouldn't advise doing sciences in a year.

I would like to study psychology at the university, so I guess that biology, psychology and maybe english literature would be my choices.
Reply 5
You should look into access courses, local colleges in England offer them (or should offer them depending on where you’re based) they let you take a specific pathway to higher education which is basically 3 A levels condensed into one year, in your case look for colleges that offer psychology access courses.
I would like to study psychology at the university, so I guess that biology, psychology and maybe english literature would be my choices.

Three hard A levels in one year isn't really achievable, particularly as a foreign student. The courses are two years for a reason. It's possible to do one in a year, maybe two at a real stretch. Three isn't realistic; not if you want to get anything approaching decent grades in them.

Fair enough, good choice of a levels. There are many colleges in the UK which do one year a level. Open study also do courses for a level and exams. It will be really pricy no matter where you do it. I would personally not recommend doing biology since you need to 12 practicals to be able to do the exam. I would also not recommend doing 3 a levels in one year. It is very, very hard
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
Three hard A levels in one year isn't really achievable, particularly as a foreign student. The courses are two years for a reason. It's possible to do one in a year, maybe two at a real stretch. Three isn't realistic; not if you want to get anything approaching decent grades in them.

I would have to slightly disagree with this, I personally know quite a few people that took access courses (a year of 3 A level equivalents) and received decent grades that in turn let them apply to decent Russel group universities. Having said this I do agree that taking the conventional route of the standard 3 A levels in 2 years is preferable as the OP may be disadvantaged in the breadth of the knowledge of certain topics that are just crammed in access courses compared to A levels.
Original post by Ludz98
I would have to slightly disagree with this, I personally know quite a few people that took access courses (a year of 3 A level equivalents) and received decent grades that in turn let them apply to decent Russel group universities. Having said this I do agree that taking the conventional route of the standard 3 A levels in 2 years is preferable as the OP may be disadvantaged in the breadth of the knowledge of certain topics that are just crammed in access courses compared to A levels.

An Access course is absolutely not comparable with studying three A levels. I've taught Access courses for many years now and although the standard is comparable, the amount of content (i.e the amount of learning required) is vastly less on an Access course that it is on a comparable full-time A level programme.

Yes, an Access course is always a good option, so long as the university will accept one. But it can't be compared to A levels, both in study rate/volume or amount of knowledge gained at the end of it, particularly in the sciences. This is why certain universities won't accept an Access course for science subjects: they are an inadequate preparation.
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
An Access course is absolutely not comparable with studying three A levels. I've taught Access courses for many years now and although the standard is comparable, the amount of content (i.e the amount of learning required) is vastly less on an Access course that it is on a comparable full-time A level programme.

Yes, an Access course is always a good option, so long as the university will accept one. But it can't be compared to A levels, both in study rate/volume or amount of knowledge gained at the end of it, particularly in the sciences. This is why certain universities won't accept an Access course for science subjects: they are an inadequate preparation.

I agree, that’s why I only slightly disagreed in the sense that in regards to the op’s question (if possible to achieve A levels in one year was possible) I suggested the access course but I would also say based on having done an access course and having had a lot of friends do A levels that the content volume and depth is incomparable between the two which actually makes me want to ask, why do you think they are acceptable equivalents if they differ so much both in methods (coursework based rather than exam based) and in standards? I understand we still learn how to structure essays and the sorts but again agreeing with you on the lesser difficulty of them how are they accepted by universities? I am genuinely curious, thank you.
Original post by Ludz98
I agree, that’s why I only slightly disagreed in the sense that in regards to the op’s question (if possible to achieve A levels in one year was possible) I suggested the access course but I would also say based on having done an access course and having had a lot of friends do A levels that the content volume and depth is incomparable between the two which actually makes me want to ask, why do you think they are acceptable equivalents if they differ so much both in methods (coursework based rather than exam based) and in standards? I understand we still learn how to structure essays and the sorts but again agreeing with you on the lesser difficulty of them how are they accepted by universities? I am genuinely curious, thank you.

They're aimed at a different type of learner. Access courses are usually done by mature students who have had a significant gap in their education. Often, these leaners either didn't do A levels, or did them a long time and did badly in them. Another significant group might have done A levels in arts subjects, and now want to go into a science-based degree.

I would just point out that I wasn't saying that they are 'of lesser difficulty', which is what your post says. The difficultly of the level 3 modules is broadly the same as the 'A2' (eg second year) A level content. The problem is that there is so little of it, compared to an A level, that it's automatically 'easier': there's just less to learn. The abundance of coursework as compared to terminal examinations is also a big difference to A levels, which makes them easier again.

Finally, Access courses are often taught in FE colleges with poor provision for practical work, and by lecturers who are unenthusiastic to do any practical work, with the result that science Access students have often had very little practical 'bench science' experience, and have a steep learning curve at university with basic lab equipment and calculations.

Overall, I'd say that humanities, arts and social-science Access students are probably on a more equal footing with their A level compatriots than science or healthcare students.

Quick Reply

Latest