Economics income inequalityyyy

Watch
yeehawfriends
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Heyyyy, basically I'm having a bit of a struggle with a question we got set to do and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the consequences of income inequality with evaluation? I would appreciate anything
Awp1007
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
1. Education deprivation
o Children from poorer backgrounds lag at all stages of education
o E.g. by 16 children receiving school meals achieve 1.6 grades lower at GCSE
2. Health deprivation
o Poverty is associated with higher risk of illness and premature death
o E.g. more likely to die at birth, suffer from illnesses/disabilities
o Professionals live on average 8 years longer than low skilled workers
3. Social unrest/crime
o People cannot support families > become dissatisfied with society and government > social unrest such as riots
o Might also lead to crime > more law enforcement needed > higher cost to government
4. Opportunity cost of higher benefits bill
o Cost to government is 9 billion out of 78 billion spent on public services (11%)
yeehawfriends
Rep:
(Original post by Awp1007)
1. Education deprivation
o Children from poorer backgrounds lag at all stages of education
o E.g. by 16 children receiving school meals achieve 1.6 grades lower at GCSE
2. Health deprivation
o Poverty is associated with higher risk of illness and premature death
o E.g. more likely to die at birth, suffer from illnesses/disabilities
o Professionals live on average 8 years longer than low skilled workers
3. Social unrest/crime
o People cannot support families > become dissatisfied with society and government > social unrest such as riots
o Might also lead to crime > more law enforcement needed > higher cost to government
4. Opportunity cost of higher benefits bill
o Cost to government is 9 billion out of 78 billion spent on public services (11%)
Thankyou so much Do you happen to know any evaluation points I can use?
libero
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
s/he already added the points for evaluation, you need to analyse them yourself!
e.g:
put this into evaluation: income inequality may lead to more crimes committed (direct correlation), which causes a higher crime rate.

then think about what higher crime rates can mean for the country
e.g: discourages foreign direct investments, lowers tourism, reduces firms competitiveness, creates inefficiency and consumer uncertainty, more law enforcement needed

then pick one point and analyse it deeper
e.g: government spending on extra law enforcement could be used on other parts of society (opportunity costs)

final evaluation point depends on your topic question.
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I'd also add in a converse point into the evaluation to show that you've considered it from all angles. i.e. Yes IE has these bad aspects, but at the same time it is also required to a degree as otherwise people would have no incentive to work harder or innovate
yeehawfriends
Rep:
Thankyou so much for your help! Would you say the UK is the best example to use, I've read articles where people are saying income inequality is rising in the UK and others say that income inequality in the UK is fairly low, so I'm a bit confused
libero
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yeehawfriends)
Thankyou so much for your help! Would you say the UK is the best example to use, I've read articles where people are saying income inequality is rising in the UK and others say that income inequality in the UK is fairly low, so I'm a bit confused
what is the question? usually in gcse and a levels you use the context as examples.
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yeehawfriends)
UK has high IE for a developed nation and it is rising, by all objective metrics - so it's a good example. However obviously don't use use it if the question is asking about developingcountries or something else etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.54%
Note taking apps (6)
2.44%
Flashcards (48)
19.51%
Revision guides (15)
6.1%
Past papers (116)
47.15%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.25%

Watched Threads