The Student Room Group

please help a fellow as level student

our school has given us 3 options for our cie exams.
1) go for predicted grades
2) withdraw all subjects for Oct/Nov
3) withdraw one subject
4) we can withdraw and sit for AS and A2 in the same year
they said for predicted grades, they will use evidence, ranking, and previous grades, throughout school performance and teachers' opinions.
I take chemistry, biology, and psychology for my as levels.
for chemistry, we do not have any pieces of evidence since our chemistry teachers were all wack and they kept changing them. our mock exams were bad as well.
Biology, my igcse were fine and my mocks were fine as well, I guessed what my grades would be and i guess i would get a B, but I cannot trust what the school will do because with the ranking and the evidences, I may not make it with a B. I have no problem with psychology, I will go for predicted grades for that.
However, we are also concerned if we go for oct/nov they would be canceled as well because of the covid-19, since the cases has been increasing.
i really need your help with this, we have been stressed for a week and we just don't know what to do.
extremely sorry for the long post but please help us decide.
Reply 1
I'm in the exact same position as you. I know I'm not going to get the grades I want but I do want to 'retake' once we get back to school in Yr13. But due to uncertainty I don't know what to do. My teachers have said to us that if we don't think we will get the grades in the summer, we should just withdraw since AS exams are optional. I'm still quite unsure.
Optional? I think you need your AS grades for your A2 but, i have to submit my decision to my school today and im just scared, don't know what to do
Reply 3
Original post by kobineedsHelp
Optional? I think you need your AS grades for your A2 but, i have to submit my decision to my school today and im just scared, don't know what to do

I do AQA and Edexcel not CIE so we have it optional. If your AS exams count towards your A2 which I know some do like further maths, then it's best you continue. Out of the 4 options you have I would go for option 2 or 4, especially if you are not sure about predicted grades. Can you opt for option 2 and then if exams don't happen, do the exams in the summer alongside your A2 exams?
i think yes that's possible but that's damn difficult. our teachers even told us that there's so much content in A2, it would be quite hard to manage both
Reply 5
Original post by kobineedsHelp
i think yes that's possible but that's damn difficult. our teachers even told us that there's so much content in A2, it would be quite hard to manage both

That is true, but you will need to fully understand AS content to do A2. It depends if you can cope with a lot of work.

Quick Reply

Latest