The Student Room Group

What UCAS Clearing courses are there usually? (For 2020 entry)

With the cancellation of exams, I am genuinely concerned about the grades I'm going to achieve since it's all out of our control. Hence clearing is something I am preparing for...since it's not open yet, what courses are there usually? Do you think dental hygiene and therapy would be available? Put your thoughts down below!
Reply 1
Original post by crazzzzy
The thing is with clearing is that it usually depends on the uni and the courses they have, plus how many spaces they have left for each course/ how many people reject/don't meet offers, so lot's of diff factors. I think if its dental hygiene and not dentistry, it should hopefully be available. I'd recommend looking thru all unis that have the course, and list their numbers, so on the actual day u can quickly call them up and ask if there's spaces.
Hopefully u get the grades u need and don't need to resort to clearing :smile:

Thank you for replying! I hope so too tbh... 🙏🏻
Nobody knows what will happen in clearing this year. There are just so many unknowns. How lenient universities will be as that will reduce the number of places. How many overseas students dont come this year and how many more take gap years as that will increase the numbers. I dont know the position regarding Dental hygienists but expect there will be few places. Medical type courses tend to be difficult to get into at the moment.

Many students like you are concerned about achieving their grades but the numbers achieving grades will be roughly the same as previous years so unless students have done badly in coursework and mocks then most will get the grades they would have anyway. Students on here seem to think they could just wave a magic wand and get the results they want but life doesnt work like that. 75% of students dont reach their predicted grades in exams anyway. If your school normally has say 5 students who get A grades in say Maths the likelyhood is 5 will get As in this system. There will be winners and losers. Some will drop a grade and some increase a grade but overall the results will be the same even though most will not reach their predicted grades but wouldnt have anyway in the exam system.
Reply 3
I think dentistry and DHDT are so competitive it'd be unlikely either would ever be in clearing unfortunately, regardless of the current situation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending