The Student Room Group

Do medicine? Be Clinical or Biomedical Scientist? I don't know!! PLS HELP!

Hi guys. I studied Biomedical Science and graduated last year with a 2:1, but now I'm stuck on what I should do next.
After graduation I went to Philippines to help my parents with their business but now I'm back, I need to find a job to support myself or at least have something to work on for my future.
My original plan from 4 years ago was to study Medicine but decided not to yet and do Biomed first and then Medicine, however due to financial problems and it being a 4/5 year course, it is a bit daunting to me.
My other plan was to become a Biomedical Scientist at the NHS, but for me to become one, I need to be HPCP registered, and not exactly sure how to do that, and they all want some kind of lab experience, which I have none of.
Or, the other plan was to be become a Clinical Scientist, but likewise I don't know how to get there nor do I have lab experience, apart from lab sessions at uni.

The real question is, what should I do next and how do I get there? I've searched so many times but they all say different things and thought I should try student room to get some answers.
Thanks guys :smile:
Hello,

sorry for this situation. To get started, what do you consider your passion? Where do you feel most strong in?
I haven't fully looked into it but when I was looking at doing biomedical science I was browsing through things on google jobs and indeed? If you have a look what jobs you can go into with an undergraduate degree in biomedical science then you might be able to get work experience from this? And then you'd be able to become HPCP registered I think
To become a biomedical scientist in the NHS, you need two things: HCPC registration, and an IBMS accredited degree. If your degree is accredited by the IBMS but does not provide HCPC registration, you need to look for MLA roles that will allow you to develop the portfolio needed for HCPC registration. If your degree isn't accredited by the IBMS either, you need to have it assessed by the IBMS, and they will either determine it can be accredited retroactively (pretty rare), that you can achieved accreditation if you undertake further top-up modules with them (which can be expensive and time consuming), or that there isn't enough common content with the IBMS accreditation requirements and you will need to complete and entire new degree.

I would suggest in the first instance you find out if your course is IBMS accredited or not if you want to go the BMS route. For the clinical scientist route, I'm not as familiar with the recruitment process; I think you apply to a grad scheme and then progress internally through that. You'll need to do a bit of research into that option if you want to pursue it.

For medicine (graduate entry or otherwise) you will need to undertake relevant work experience and reflect on it (although for next years application cycle I believe most medical schools have suspended work experience requirements for standard entry medicine at least, due to the coronavirus situation meaning it's not possible for people to get that experience now in time). Graduate entry medicine is usually more competitive than undergraduate entry medicine, so as I understand most GEM applicants also apply to one or two standard entry medicine courses. However there are some significant financial ramifications of doing standard entry medicine as a graduate, so you will need to carefully assess whether that is a feasible option for you.
Reply 4
Hey - sorry to hear you are in this situation! I understand the difficulty of trying to source lab experience as a graduate as I struggled when I was considering applying for a PhD/Masters.

I'm now starting Medicine this September and it is a graduate entry course (4 years). What I will say is, only pursue this route if you are really committed to it. From reading your dilemma, I don't think you are at a point where you are sure it is what you want to do. The reasons I point this out are:
- It is very competitive to get into.
- It requires a whole year for the application process, plus taking admissions tests (sometimes multiple depending on where you want to apply)
- The financial commitment. Although you can get funding for GEM, I'm not sure whether you would qualify for it (would you be applying as an international student?). If you're applying as a 'home' student, you get funding toward tuition, but you'll still need to fund a small part of the tuition yourself, PLUS have enough money to live on for four years (you can get maintenance loans, but they are unlikely to cover all your expenses).

I would recommend getting some hands-on experience in a medical setting before pursuing an application to medical school.
Reply 5
Original post by JayTutor01
Hello,

sorry for this situation. To get started, what do you consider your passion? Where do you feel most strong in?

Hi, thank you for responding!
I've always been keen on Sciences, that's the one thing I've always been so passionate about ever since I was young. My mum was a midwife in Philippines and always used to take me to work, and I think that's where the interest came from.
At the moment, I'm leaning more towards being a Clinical Scientist, as it involves working with the patient as well, rather than all lab work. I've searched about how to become one and apparently it involves doing a 3 year Scientist Training Programme, please correct me if I'm wrong.
But with that in mind, if I'm going to do another 3 year course, why don't I do medicine instead which is only going to be 1/2 years longer depending if I do a post/ undergrad degree, which was my original plan to begin with. But I'm still unsure.
Go for medicine, 1/2 years longer ain't big to sacrifice. On this see the bigger picture. Be optimistic. Someone would say that you will "waste" half an year, but I say, you will learn so much in the half an year period.
Reply 7
Original post by gregheffley2016
I haven't fully looked into it but when I was looking at doing biomedical science I was browsing through things on google jobs and indeed? If you have a look what jobs you can go into with an undergraduate degree in biomedical science then you might be able to get work experience from this? And then you'd be able to become HPCP registered I think

Hi thank you for responding!
It's so difficult getting work experience in a lab because most of the time, they want someone who already holds a license or some kind of experience whereas I don't have any. Also given our current COVID-19 situation, it's even harder as they're unlikely to take me in. Have you got any type of work experience, if so please can you tell me how you got them?
Many thanks
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
To become a biomedical scientist in the NHS, you need two things: HCPC registration, and an IBMS accredited degree. If your degree is accredited by the IBMS but does not provide HCPC registration, you need to look for MLA roles that will allow you to develop the portfolio needed for HCPC registration. If your degree isn't accredited by the IBMS either, you need to have it assessed by the IBMS, and they will either determine it can be accredited retroactively (pretty rare), that you can achieved accreditation if you undertake further top-up modules with them (which can be expensive and time consuming), or that there isn't enough common content with the IBMS accreditation requirements and you will need to complete and entire new degree.

I would suggest in the first instance you find out if your course is IBMS accredited or not if you want to go the BMS route. For the clinical scientist route, I'm not as familiar with the recruitment process; I think you apply to a grad scheme and then progress internally through that. You'll need to do a bit of research into that option if you want to pursue it.

For medicine (graduate entry or otherwise) you will need to undertake relevant work experience and reflect on it (although for next years application cycle I believe most medical schools have suspended work experience requirements for standard entry medicine at least, due to the coronavirus situation meaning it's not possible for people to get that experience now in time). Graduate entry medicine is usually more competitive than undergraduate entry medicine, so as I understand most GEM applicants also apply to one or two standard entry medicine courses. However there are some significant financial ramifications of doing standard entry medicine as a graduate, so you will need to carefully assess whether that is a feasible option for you.

I've had experiences in terms of volunteer work and shadowing at hospitals, but this was 4/5 years ago, so I don't think they will accept. And given the situation, I won't be able to get the experience on time for next years application, therefore will have to wait another year, which is off putting as I wanted to apply for next year.
After some thought, I think going down the Clinical Scientist route is much more fitting for me, as it involves both working with patients and doing lab work, two aspects that I'm keen on. It's a mixture of being a doctor and Biomed Scientist. I think now my problem is, how do I get there.

Thank you for helping!
Reply 9
Original post by Keels25
Hey - sorry to hear you are in this situation! I understand the difficulty of trying to source lab experience as a graduate as I struggled when I was considering applying for a PhD/Masters.

I'm now starting Medicine this September and it is a graduate entry course (4 years). What I will say is, only pursue this route if you are really committed to it. From reading your dilemma, I don't think you are at a point where you are sure it is what you want to do. The reasons I point this out are:
- It is very competitive to get into.
- It requires a whole year for the application process, plus taking admissions tests (sometimes multiple depending on where you want to apply)
- The financial commitment. Although you can get funding for GEM, I'm not sure whether you would qualify for it (would you be applying as an international student?). If you're applying as a 'home' student, you get funding toward tuition, but you'll still need to fund a small part of the tuition yourself, PLUS have enough money to live on for four years (you can get maintenance loans, but they are unlikely to cover all your expenses).

I would recommend getting some hands-on experience in a medical setting before pursuing an application to medical school.

Hi, thank you for you help!

After giving some thought, I think becoming a Clinical Scientist would be more fitting for me, as it involves both aspects of being a doctor and a biomedical Scientist. Maybe in the future I will consider being a Doctor again, but for now, I think I need to focus on how to become a Clinical Scientist.
Original post by p_dianne
I've had experiences in terms of volunteer work and shadowing at hospitals, but this was 4/5 years ago, so I don't think they will accept. And given the situation, I won't be able to get the experience on time for next years application, therefore will have to wait another year, which is off putting as I wanted to apply for next year.
After some thought, I think going down the Clinical Scientist route is much more fitting for me, as it involves both working with patients and doing lab work, two aspects that I'm keen on. It's a mixture of being a doctor and Biomed Scientist. I think now my problem is, how do I get there.

Thank you for helping!

As I indicated, most standard entry medicine courses have waived work experience requirements (but not reflection requirements) - I imagine GEM courses would be similar, but you would need to check to be sure. Obviously though, going down the medicine route is a pretty big and long term commitment, so if you aren't sure it may be better to go down the alternate route. It sounds like you like the clinical scientist role more anyway, so perhaps it's best to focus your efforts on researching that option :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending