idkitsme
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm picking A level History & Sociology (I've studied both at GCSE). However, I don't know whether to do A level English Literature or A level Psychology. I wanna pick a subject that I'll enjoy and be able to get the better grade in as my last option. Currently, I'm interested in studying Law at a Russell Group university.

So which one should I pick? Anyone who has studied these subjects, could you give me your opinion (pros and cons) please?
savemeeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’d suggest picking English literature as I know people who find it enjoyable and get good grades and alevel psychology is either u love it or u don’t so if u wanna take a risk go for it but I know the grade boundaries are really high 😂
Last edited by savemeeeee; 9 months ago
_xChlox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Firstly, I was just wondering why u aren’t doing Law at A-Level if u know u want to do it at uni? But personally I’ve done both Sociology and Psychology at A-Level so I can give advice on those. Firstly sociology is an amazing choice, I have adored to subject and am going on to do it at uni, there is a lot of learn at A-Level but if you enjoy the subject this shouldn’t be a difficult. Plus the amount of stuff from current media u will be able to use in your essays is amazing, I’m sure you’ll be referring to this pandemic in your exams. Psychology has always been hit or miss with me, very subject heavy, has a far good bit of science in and also some maths. I find it’s easier to get the marks when you know the content but there is bloody tones of content.
Platypie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hiya!!! I've actually studied both these subjects for Alevels so hopefully I should be able to help - I'm gonna make a short list of pros and cons as you've suggested:
English Literature 📖
Pros
- It's not a very content heavy subject compared to psych - the most content you have to do comes from simply reading the set texts - this means it won't take up much revising time
- The writing skills you gain from it can be applied across other subjects and in real life too and is so helpful for when writing stuff like personal statements
- If your creative, like giving your opinions, and like debating in class then this subject is for you!
Cons
- I've found that it's quite hard to boost your grade easily like it is in psych - by that I mean if your working at lets say a C grade at the start of the year it's quite hard to shift that up to an A in final exams since english is really about your writing style, which can be hard to change
- Some of the texts your required to read can be quite boring or hard to understand - and if your not interested in the texts then it could affect your grade as you won't be as engaged in discussing it - when it comes to texts I would see in advance what your course will study just to make sure you like it
- There's a LOT of writing as you can imagine - and since your already taking 2 heavy writing subjects this might be too much on top of that
Psychology 💭
Pros
- The content can be so SO interesting - it varies from things like attachment, forensic psych, and mental disorders such as OCD or Schizophrenia
- It's easy enough to get the grade you want - you literally just need to remember the facts and regurgitate in the exam
- It's not too scientific and doesn't have a lot of maths (except research methods 😣) so if your not into that stuff this subject is pretty good
Cons
- Not gonna lie - there's a lot of content - especially when it comes to case studies so you'll need to remember a lot of stats and numbers as well as a LOT of researcher names
- Having to wade through Research methods was a massive pain in the ass - its basically just the experiment and data side of psych. It's very big for a topic and involves the most amount of maths you'll do in psych - maybe you'll like this if your analytical but to me it was the most boring thing in the world

So this list was way bigger than I imagined it would be 😂 but hopefully that helped with your decision. To be honest I can't really recommend a subject that you would prefer for definite since a large part of your enjoyment and success in it will come from who you are as a person - but personally I think I liked psych more since I was good at it and it was more interesting to me
Anyway, sorry for the long ass post 😅 if you need any more info or want to ask me anything then I'd be happy to help xx
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by _xChlox_)
Firstly, I was just wondering why u aren’t doing Law at A-Level if u know u want to do it at uni? But personally I’ve done both Sociology and Psychology at A-Level so I can give advice on those. Firstly sociology is an amazing choice, I have adored to subject and am going on to do it at uni, there is a lot of learn at A-Level but if you enjoy the subject this shouldn’t be a difficult. Plus the amount of stuff from current media u will be able to use in your essays is amazing, I’m sure you’ll be referring to this pandemic in your exams. Psychology has always been hit or miss with me, very subject heavy, has a far good bit of science in and also some maths. I find it’s easier to get the marks when you know the content but there is bloody tones of content.
For Law, there's no required subject and Law at A-level is really stressful and its much better to do the ones OP enjoy so she can get the grades to do law at uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (392)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (301)
43.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed