The Student Room Group

Bath or UEA

I'm applying to study economics with a placement year and I can't decide between Bath and UEA. They are both campus unis of a similar size which is what I want. Bath is higher in the league tables, is more prestigious and the town seems better. But I've read that they put a big emphasis on sport and the people can be stuck up. UEA has lower entry requirements and the town might get boring. But the campus had a great atmosphere and the lecturers seemed alot more friendly and approachable. Bath appears to have better connections for the placement year than UEA. I am really stuck so any advice from anyone at these unis or doing economics would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by amy_02
I'm applying to study economics with a placement year and I can't decide between Bath and UEA. They are both campus unis of a similar size which is what I want. Bath is higher in the league tables, is more prestigious and the town seems better. But I've read that they put a big emphasis on sport and the people can be stuck up. UEA has lower entry requirements and the town might get boring. But the campus had a great atmosphere and the lecturers seemed alot more friendly and approachable. Bath appears to have better connections for the placement year than UEA. I am really stuck so any advice from anyone at these unis or doing economics would be appreciated :smile:

Hi Amy!

I'm a current second-year student at UEA, studying International Development with some economics modules. I can't help you on the course side of things, even though I do a few economics-based modules. But what I can say is that Norwich is most definitely not boring! Norwich was voted the City of Literature by UNESCO a few years ago and one of the main reasons was that there is so much to do and explore. We have one of the biggest markets in the UK, full of loads of different food and vintage shops; 4 different cinemas and 3 different theatres. It's very busy and only an hour and a half from London so really easy to travel in!

The campus itself is self-reliable too, everything you have is in it such as a bank, SU shop and over 5 different cafes for food. Plus a lake and lots of green spaces. I will add too that UEA is voted one of the top unis for student satisfaction, which for me was more important than being on a top league table.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Becca
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Hi Amy!

I'm a current second-year student at UEA, studying International Development with some economics modules. I can't help you on the course side of things, even though I do a few economics-based modules. But what I can say is that Norwich is most definitely not boring! Norwich was voted the City of Literature by UNESCO a few years ago and one of the main reasons was that there is so much to do and explore. We have one of the biggest markets in the UK, full of loads of different food and vintage shops; 4 different cinemas and 3 different theatres. It's very busy and only an hour and a half from London so really easy to travel in!

The campus itself is self-reliable too, everything you have is in it such as a bank, SU shop and over 5 different cafes for food. Plus a lake and lots of green spaces. I will add too that UEA is voted one of the top unis for student satisfaction, which for me was more important than being on a top league table.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Becca

U probably won’t see this but I’m considering applying to the international development course at UEA, could u tell me more about it and if u recommend it??? What are its pros and cons??
Bath - their placement program is probably the best in the UK and they have a far better reputation for Economics than UEA.

Econ is one of the very few degree subjects where 'which Uni' does actually matter.
Original post by 🧡Hajera
U probably won’t see this but I’m considering applying to the international development course at UEA, could u tell me more about it and if u recommend it??? What are its pros and cons??

Hi :h:

It's wonderful to see you're considering applying to come and study here with us at UEA! I'm not a student on the BA International Development course myself so I'm unable to give my personal opinion on that, but there is a great run-down on the course page about the modules in each year so if you haven't already, it might be really interesting for you to read through those!

In a more general sense, I'd say that studying here has a lot of wonderful pros :smile: we're campus university with a lot of beautiful green space, and a gorgeous lake! Plenty of nice places to walk and relax. Norwich is a really fun place too, both in the city centre and on campus! We have our own live music/nightclub venue called The LCR which holds regular events, an extensive list of societies, and on campus bars too.

If you'd like to get more of a feel for UEA and the International Development course, we are running some undergraduate open days this year on the following dates and would be so happy to welcome you:

Saturday 2nd July
Saturday 10th September
Saturday 22nd October
Saturday 19th November

We also have an on-demand virtual open day which you can access online if that is of any interest to you. On here you'll be able to find content on all aspects of uni life, from the city of Norwich, to the course you're interested in and also about our wonderful campus :smile: if you have any questions at all about UEA, or studying here in Norwich please do feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Lastly, what is it that interests you about International Development and makes you want to study it? I'm nosey!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
Bath. UEA becomes like a ghost town on weekends because people disappear to London.
This thread is TWO YEARS old.
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Hi :h:

It's wonderful to see you're considering applying to come and study here with us at UEA! I'm not a student on the BA International Development course myself so I'm unable to give my personal opinion on that, but there is a great run-down on the course page about the modules in each year so if you haven't already, it might be really interesting for you to read through those!

In a more general sense, I'd say that studying here has a lot of wonderful pros :smile: we're campus university with a lot of beautiful green space, and a gorgeous lake! Plenty of nice places to walk and relax. Norwich is a really fun place too, both in the city centre and on campus! We have our own live music/nightclub venue called The LCR which holds regular events, an extensive list of societies, and on campus bars too.

If you'd like to get more of a feel for UEA and the International Development course, we are running some undergraduate open days this year on the following dates and would be so happy to welcome you:

Saturday 2nd July
Saturday 10th September
Saturday 22nd October
Saturday 19th November

We also have an on-demand virtual open day which you can access online if that is of any interest to you. On here you'll be able to find content on all aspects of uni life, from the city of Norwich, to the course you're interested in and also about our wonderful campus :smile: if you have any questions at all about UEA, or studying here in Norwich please do feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Lastly, what is it that interests you about International Development and makes you want to study it? I'm nosey!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Thank you!! Going through the on demand open day rn :smile: