The Student Room Group

Alternative entry to medicine

Hi Im in Scotland and Ive always wanted to study medicine - I got 6 As and 1 B at national 5 (A's were maths chemistry biology physics english and grahical comminucation) and B was spanish. I did my higher prelims and got 2 A's Maths and Graphical Communication and 3 B's Chemistry Biology and English. I've had some extra tutoring since but now all exmas have been cancelled and teachers are grading Highers which are going to be based on teachers opinions mostly, aparrently a mix of past grades grades in units this year prelims and teacher opinion and then put into bands and compared to prior year results). I've done everything else I can during the last couple of years (attended Medic programmes at a university, work experience at medical practice and hospital) I was about to start volunteering at a local hospital but its been cancelled due to coronavirus. Im now worried that I wont get the grades needed to go to medical school and wondered what the alternative routes are (I dont think I meet widening access) Can you transfer from another course after 1 year at any of the universities in Scotland? I dont know if it will be possible for me to enter at graduate level financailly. I really can't imagine myself doing anything else.
Thanks for any advice you can give. I would be due to apply to medical school by 15th October this year.
Reply 1
Would you not consider staying on for 6th year?
Reply 2
Original post by 727272
Hi Im in Scotland and Ive always wanted to study medicine - I got 6 As and 1 B at national 5 (A's were maths chemistry biology physics english and grahical comminucation) and B was spanish. I did my higher prelims and got 2 A's Maths and Graphical Communication and 3 B's Chemistry Biology and English. I've had some extra tutoring since but now all exmas have been cancelled and teachers are grading Highers which are going to be based on teachers opinions mostly, aparrently a mix of past grades grades in units this year prelims and teacher opinion and then put into bands and compared to prior year results). I've done everything else I can during the last couple of years (attended Medic programmes at a university, work experience at medical practice and hospital) I was about to start volunteering at a local hospital but its been cancelled due to coronavirus. Im now worried that I wont get the grades needed to go to medical school and wondered what the alternative routes are (I dont think I meet widening access) Can you transfer from another course after 1 year at any of the universities in Scotland? I dont know if it will be possible for me to enter at graduate level financailly. I really can't imagine myself doing anything else.
Thanks for any advice you can give. I would be due to apply to medical school by 15th October this year.

Resit with the exam for those unhappy with their grades promised for the Autumn
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
Resit with the exam for those unhappy with their grades promised for the Autumn

Yes I plan to stay on in S6 but my understanding is that I have to achieve grades required at first sitting in S5 unless I am wrong?
Reply 4
Original post by 727272
Yes I plan to stay on in S6 but my understanding is that I have to achieve grades required at first sitting in S5 unless I am wrong?

sorry replied to wrong quote there - Can I ask where you have read that we can resit if unhappy in Autumn - I am in Scotland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending