The Student Room Group

Advice on A-Levels for PPE/ Law at OXFORD

I really want to ideally study PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) or Law at Oxford University in the future. I would prefer PPE then a Law conversion course however I am aware my A-Level choices aren't ideal for applying to PPE. I have currently decided on English French and Economics as my A Levels. However, I know changing one of them to History could be better for PPE. I also understand maths could be good for PPE but even though I'm good at it it's not a favourite subject so I ideally don't want to take it. I am very strong with politics however I know it's not a respected A Level. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? Thanks so much. BTW I haven't studied History at GCSE (I chose Geography because it was easier) but enjoy MODERN history a lot which is why I'd be open to studying it.
(edited 4 years ago)
take subjects you enjoy, pretty sure PPE doesn't have any specific subject requirements, though some may prefer or require maths. if you think you'll enjoy politics, pick that. your subject choices seem fine- do research a few courses at unis though to see what some may ask for.
Original post by bea4
I really want to ideally study PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) or Law at Oxford University in the future. I would prefer PPE then a Law conversion course however I am aware my A-Level choices aren't ideal for applying to PPE. I have currently decided on English French and Economics as my A Levels. However, I know changing one of them to History could be better for PPE. I also understand maths could be good for PPE but even though I'm good at it it's not a favourite subject so I ideally don't want to take it. I am very strong with politics however I know it's not a respected A Level. Can anyone offer any advice on what I should do? Thanks so much. BTW I haven't studied History at GCSE (I chose Geography because it was easier) but enjoy MODERN history a lot which is why I'd be open to studying it.

History, Economics and English is a good mix or Politics, Economics and English

edited: Oxford recommends Maths and adds that History may be useful on course
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by HS_1
History, Economics and English is a good mix or Politics, Economics and English

edited: Oxford recommends Maths and adds that History may be useful on course

Do you think I would be at a strong disadvantage if I didn't take maths? I think I would really enjoy Politics Economics and English but don't they like to have two facilitating subjects?
Original post by bea4
Do you think I would be at a strong disadvantage if I didn't take maths? I think I would really enjoy Politics Economics and English but don't they like to have two facilitating subjects?

95% of successful applicants to PPE at Oxford have A-level Maths. It's fair to say that without it you stand very little chance unless you can demonstrate in some other way an ability to cope with the mathematical side of the course - economics at university is necessarily mathematical and uses content from A-level Maths (and beyond) fluently. The statistics involved in economics at university are not the mere descriptive statistics you will be familiar with from GCSE, but mathematical statistics involving the use of calculus and linear algebra.

Quick Reply

Latest