Scottish Pre-Medical Courses Applicants 2021 Entry (A900, A1A1,A104)

Watch
S_x_x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello!
I have made this thread for potential applicants to the Scottish Pre-Medicine Courses for 2021 entry.

I am a first year medical student. Whilst I didn't study any of the pre-medicine courses for entry, I am aware that, often, there is limited information about these courses, such as competition ratios, interview processes, grade requirements, and eligibility criteria. I, along with any other medical students/pre-medicine students that wish to help, will try and help answer your questions. I hope this thread will improve accessibility to the information about these courses too, and help those with barriers to learning understand the potential benefits of undertaking one of these pre-medical courses as a pathway into the medicine courses in Scotland.

As a rough guide, here are the links for the courses below:

University of Dundee - Gateway to Medicine (MBChB) (A104): https://www.dundee.ac.uk/undergraduate/medicine-gateway

University of St. Andrews - Gateway to Medicine (MBChB): https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subject...y-to-medicine/

University of Glasgow - Glasgow Access Programme (A900): https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medici...sprogrammegap/

University of Aberdeen - Gateway to Medicine (A1A1): https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergr.../g2m/index.php

I hope you find this thread useful in the upcoming months, particularly as interviews approach, and see this as an opportunity to share your feelings with others in a similar position to you!
Last edited by S_x_x; 7 months ago
Sem/1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello, do I need to take these courses if I will apply for medicine next year?
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Sem/1)
Hello, do I need to take these courses if I will apply for medicine next year?
Hello, no, these courses are for candidates who meet specific widening access criteria (reside in a specific postcode, are care leavers) and they are an extra year to prepare candidates before they enter the medical course.
For standard applicants you can apply to the standard A100 medicine courses
Last edited by S_x_x; 7 months ago
Sem/1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by S_x_x)
Hello, no, these courses are for candidates who meet specific widening access criteria (reside in a specific postcode, are care leavers) and they are an extra year to prepare candidates before they enter the medical course.
For standard applicants you can apply to the standard medicine courses
okay, thanks for your answer!
Charlie286
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I’d like to apply for medicine and I qualify for the pre-medical courses as I’m a nearly full time care giver. But I’m also thinking about completing the REACH program in S6 and getting reduced grades (of AAABB) but then I’d also have to take the UCAT exam. I got AAAAC this year for S5. Should I take the UCAT exam or should I just apply to medicine through the pre-medical access courses. -I’ve also done extracurriculars like a research placement, Sutton trust summer school, work experience with RSPB, DofE and I’m hoping to do some work experience in a hospital around January time.
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Charlie286)
Hi I’d like to apply for medicine and I qualify for the pre-medical courses as I’m a nearly full time care giver. But I’m also thinking about completing the REACH program in S6 and getting reduced grades (of AAABB) but then I’d also have to take the UCAT exam. I got AAAAC this year for S5. Should I take the UCAT exam or should I just apply to medicine through the pre-medical access courses. -I’ve also done extracurriculars like a research placement, Sutton trust summer school, work experience with RSPB, DofE and I’m hoping to do some work experience in a hospital around January time.
Hi, congratulations on your results!
I think the choice is entirely up to yourself. UCAT is not a requirement for the GAP programme, offered at the University of Glasgow. However, the UCAT is required for the pre-medicine course at Dundee and Aberdeen (either prior to application or during the year). As you have said, the UCAT is required for all standard entry medicine programme.
As a suggestion, You may want to apply to where your strengths lie. For example, you have many extracirricular activities, which will strengthen your personal statement, and many of the pre-medicine programmes place emphasis on the personal statement.
Looking at statistics, it is a bit more difficult to get into the standard courses for medicine in comparison to the pre-medicine courses, purely due to the raised entry requirements and number of applicants.
Hope this helps.
Charlie286
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi would I still need to take the UCAT to apply to G2M Aberdeen ? Or anything other gateway program?
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
It’s best to check with the university themselves, however it does state on their website that the UCAT can be taken near the end of the G2M year. I would assume you do not need it, but you should send an email just to confirm with them.
As far as I’m aware, the only pre-medical course in Scotland not requiring the UCAT is the Glasgow access programme.
4TheBrighterSide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for creating this thread!

I have a few questions regarding Glasgow’s A900 course if you are able to answer any of them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Is it possible to apply to the traditional Medicine A100 course at the University of Glasgow as well as the A900 GAP Programme in the same year of applying if you meet the requirements of both programmes? And if this is possible, would your application to both programmes be dealt with equally (both applications dealt with by different panels) and would you be disadvantaged in either programme if you apply to the other? If both programmes are dealt with by different panels, would they be able to see that the applicant has applied to the other programme?

Thank you very much for any help!
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by 4TheBrighterSide)
Hi,

Firstly, thank you for creating this thread!

I have a few questions regarding Glasgow’s A900 course if you are able to answer any of them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Is it possible to apply to the traditional Medicine A100 course at the University of Glasgow as well as the A900 GAP Programme in the same year of applying if you meet the requirements of both programmes? And if this is possible, would your application to both programmes be dealt with equally (both applications dealt with by different panels) and would you be disadvantaged in either programme if you apply to the other? If both programmes are dealt with by different panels, would they be able to see that the applicant has applied to the other programme?

Thank you very much for any help!
Hey!
I would suggest sending them an email to: [email protected] , who would be able to help you with this.
Sorry I don't have the answer to this
4TheBrighterSide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S_x_x)
Hey!
I would suggest sending them an email to: [email protected] , who would be able to help you with this.
Sorry I don't have the answer to this
Thanks!

I did end up emailing them and for anyone who is also considering both programmes, they say it is perfectly fine to apply to both but if you are given a place on the traditional A100 course, that takes precedent over the A900.
S_x_x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for clearing that up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads