chronchron
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey! I was wondering; is a MA or a MSc better when it comes to International Relations? Additionally, for anyone who has any idea; which of these universities/options would be better for International relations:

University of Essex - International Relations
University of Swansea - International Security and Development
University of Surrey - International Relations

Thank you.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chronchron)
Hey! I was wondering; is a MA or a MSc better when it comes to International Relations? Additionally, for anyone who has any idea; which of these universities/options would be better for International relations:

Thank you.
Hi chronchron,

On the Prospects website it says: 'While an MSc concerns itself primarily with STEM subjects and social sciences, the Master of Arts (MA) focuses on arts and humanities subjects. Some social science courses also fall under the MA umbrella, depending on the focus and content of the programme.'

I did an MA International Relations and European Studies at Portsmouth and then went on to do an MSc Social Research Methods, and I would reiterate that distinction based on my own experiences. There was more social science content in my second Masters.

So really the distinction is on the course content - it might mean you want to take a closer look at the content before deciding. And this would be my advice in terms of which university is better for you. It will be not what course or uni is ranked best or higher, but what course best serves your interests and goals. I would therefore also recommend you take a look at the teaching staff in the departments. It is likely that when it comes to writing your Masters thesis/dissertation you will need supervision and this could be limited based on the staff expertise in the department. If you are really interested in Security then it might be Swansea serves you better than Surrey or Essex (based on the course titles) as that is the specific focus of that course, if you see what I mean.

Best of luck, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!!

Danielle - Official Student Rep
multirenaissance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck what are your plans afterwards
purplebeansenpai
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chronchron)

Thank you.
your mom
multirenaissance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck I did a BA MFL & IS what are your plans. Reading is meant to be good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
29.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
10.31%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
53.61%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.19%

Watched Threads