The Student Room Group

Please help!!!

I got offers for Law from Kent, Birmingham,Warwick and Leicester. Kent is higher on the League tables than the other 3 but it’s not a Russel Group. Which one will give me the best opportunities. Also if Kent are so good why are they offering lower grades BBB to firm them??? 🤔🤔🤔
Don't trust league tables too much, but if you look at the league table there are usually a number of different factors that they use to rank universities, you should be able to see which one Kent does better than the others.

I would recommend visiting and having a look at the universities. Warwick is in a small town whereas Birmingham is in a massive city, so you'll definitely get a very different student experience. It's better to base it on which city you would prefer living in as all of them will have good and similar Law degrees.
Reply 2
Original post by chapmase
Don't trust league tables too much, but if you look at the league table there are usually a number of different factors that they use to rank universities, you should be able to see which one Kent does better than the others.

I would recommend visiting and having a look at the universities. Warwick is in a small town whereas Birmingham is in a massive city, so you'll definitely get a very different student experience. It's better to base it on which city you would prefer living in as all of them will have good and similar Law degrees.

Thank you. That’s very helpful. I’m from London and will definitely prefer a big city. It’s a shame we can’t go and visit the Unis hopefully that will help me make a decision. Thanks
If you can get the higher grades then go for one of the Russels. Russel degrees give a bit more of prestige and can really make the difference, being a Russel doesn't mean a University is good however (St Andrew's isnt a Russel) so you want to look at a range of factors such as teaching reviews, facilities, student experiences. Also look at student life and accommodation as you want to make the most of your experience, a firm won't deny you over someone who went to a Uni just a little bit better.
Original post by Brendan0686
If you can get the higher grades then go for one of the Russels. Russel degrees give a bit more of prestige and can really make the difference, being a Russel doesn't mean a University is good however (St Andrew's isnt a Russel) so you want to look at a range of factors such as teaching reviews, facilities, student experiences. Also look at student life and accommodation as you want to make the most of your experience, a firm won't deny you over someone who went to a Uni just a little bit better.

Thanks Brendan. Very helpful. I’ll have a look at the things you mentioned

It's Russell btw and there are few degrees where it makes any discernible difference these days. In fact teaching can often be better elsewhere as the lecturers are not focused on their OWN research!
Original post by Muttley79
It's Russell btw and there are few degrees where it makes any discernible difference these days. In fact teaching can often be better elsewhere as the lecturers are not focused on their OWN research!

Let's remember what course we are talking about... Law, becoming a solicitor is an oversubscribed career pathway and believe it or not, top firms want students from top unis. As someone who actually invested a lot of time into researching the employment opportunities received from Russell graduates/high ranked Unis when I was picking my own choices and then further debating this on a daily matter, I can say that all trends point to these degrees helping you career wise.

I want you to take the time like I did and research into the magic circle law firms and see where their trainees graduated from, because I can tell you for a fact that you won't find many graduates (if at all) from low ranked universities in these firms.

It is something I argue about to many people on a daily basis, the university you do your law degree in does massively matter and going to a top uni will automatically put you at an advantage believe it or not.

@smuchemwa don't listen to them please, if you want to spend your career working in a little quiet law firm (which if that's what you want then that's fine) then go wherever you want, however if you want to score big and hit the magic circle then I would recommend going to a Russell with good career prospects, teaching, and state of the art facilities. Make it easier for yourself.
Original post by Sierra1
Thank you. That’s very helpful. I’m from London and will definitely prefer a big city. It’s a shame we can’t go and visit the Unis hopefully that will help me make a decision. Thanks

If you want a big city Kent is not a good choice - trust me I'm from London and went to Kent and found Canterbury very boring by contrast. Like you I didn't visit beforehand, but unlike you I had no excuse.

If you want a decent uni in a lively city, Birmingham is the obvious choice from your offers.
Let's remember what course we are talking about... Law, becoming a solicitor is an oversubscribed career pathway and believe it or not, top firms want students from top unis. As someone who actually invested a lot of time into researching the employment opportunities received from Russell graduates/high ranked Unis when I was picking my own choices and then further debating this on a daily matter, I can say that all trends point to these degrees helping you career wise.

Perhaps you should read my post properly before replying? I was correcting the spelling of Russell.

Nowhere did I say that RG was NOT a factor for Law - I was querying how much research had been done by someone who did not even know the correct spelling.

I do actually know several ex-students at top firms without RG degrees but that is not the point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending