The Student Room Group

Boyfriend keeping me secret

We've been together 4 years at university, and he has hidden the relationship from his parents as they are strict and believe he should get his education out of the way before he dates. This means we only see each other during term time. His mum rings him every night, he answers and will make out he's studying/going to bed even if we're with our friends drinking.
Is this weird?
Original post by Anonymous
We've been together 4 years at university, and he has hidden the relationship from his parents as they are strict and believe he should get his education out of the way before he dates. This means we only see each other during term time. His mum rings him every night, he answers and will make out he's studying/going to bed even if we're with our friends drinking.
Is this weird?

If you have been together 4 years at university then I would suggest just waiting it out until you both finish.
Personally, I don’t think it’s weird as you have said his parents want him to get his education first. He needs to make up some sort of excuse.
Also, if he does tell his parents, it may put a strain on your relationship and worst case scenario you might break up.
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
If you have been together 4 years at university then I would suggest just waiting it out until you both finish.
Personally, I don’t think it’s weird as you have said his parents want him to get his education first. He needs to make up some sort of excuse.
Also, if he does tell his parents, it may put a strain on your relationship and worst case scenario you might break up.

Okay thanks. Does it sound like he is serious about me?

Yeah, from what you have told me, I don’t see anything wrong with him. Do you feel like he is the same as when you first met him? Does he still show the same amount of affection?

If he wasn't serious about you, why would he spend 4 years lying to his parents?
Reply 5
Original post by randomsheep11
If he wasn't serious about you, why would he spend 4 years lying to his parents?

Surely he'd tell them sooner?
Surely he'd tell them sooner?

Why do you think he hasn't told them? You said it yourself, his parents are very strict and don't want him to be dating. I don't know this mans cultural background, but in some families disobeying your parents is an extremely big deal and could result in a lot of hurt if he gets caught. Please try to understand the pressure he is feeling of not being able to be honest with his own family and how hard that must be.
And also, let's say if he tells them now, they're sure to disapprove of the relationship. You want his parents to disapprove of you being together? That's an easy way to put strain on your relationship and result in you having to part ways...
@Bio 7 we are definitely troll patrol 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending