Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey guys. I know it probably sounds really dumb but I wanted to know how I would split up a post when I am trying to reply to it?

For example if ^^^that^^^ above was the whole post how would I split this up so I could reply to it in segments so it would look like:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTED REPLY: "Hey guys. I know it probably sounds really dumb"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTUALLY REPLY FROM DIFFERENT USER:Yeah this is dumb so shut up lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTED REPLY: "how I would split up a post when I am trying to reply to it?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTUALLY REPLY FROM DIFFERENT USER: Still Shut up
Last edited by Capitalist_Lamb; 9 months ago
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Capitalist_Lamb)
Hey guys. I know it probably sounds really dumb but I wanted to know how I would split up a post when I am trying to reply to it.

For example if ^^^that^^^ above was the whole post how would I split this up so I could reply to it in segments so it would look like:

QUOTED REPLY: "Hey guys. I know it probably sounds really dumb"
ACTUALLY REPLY FROM DIFFERENT USER:Yeah this is dumb so shut up lol

QUOTED REPLY: "how I would split up a post when I am trying to reply to it."
ACTUALLY REPLY FROM DIFFERENT USER: Still Shut up
If you click the button highlighted below then it makes it easier to format your post and move around quotes:

Once you've clicked it you can use [quote][/quote] tags to separate quotes.
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
If you click the button highlighted below then it makes it easier to format your post and move around quotes:
Just testing to see if it works

Another Test

Once you've clicked it you can use tags to separate quotes.
Hi. Thanks a lot for that bit of information. Can I just ask one thing. Do I have to put this highlighted piece of text everytime I start the quote again. If so that's all good but if I'm doing it wrong let me know.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 41
Size:  71.3 KB
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Just testing to see if it works

Another Test

Hi. Thanks a lot for that bit of information. Can I just ask one thing. Do I have to put this highlighted piece of text everytime I start the quote again. If so that's all good but if I'm doing it wrong let me know.

Views: 41
Size:  71.3 KB
No you only need that line once at the top. The first one will give the quotee a notification and so for all the others you can just use [quote][/quote] without specifying the user.
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
No you only need that line once at the top. The first one will give the quotee a notification and so for all the others you can just use without specifying the user.
I'm trying to reply to this post using this method. I can do the first quote fine but the second one when I do it, it won't let me click the button in red again to view the post normally and so isn't working I guess. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Views: 30
Size:  130.3 KB
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
No you only need that line once at the top. The first one will give the quotee a notification and so for all the others you can just use without specifying the user.
I think I fixed it by putting "[quote]" instead of just [quote]
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think I fixed it by putting "
" instead of just
All okay now then?
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
All okay now then?
Yeah and no. It's works like this
Let me explain:

It works like this fine:
Views: 18
Size:  59.5 KB
Which makes it look like this:
Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 21
Size:  50.5 KB
Which works fine but is not the proper way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also works like this:
Name:  Capture3.PNG
Views: 25
Size:  48.5 KB
BUT
When I click the button to see what it would look like normally it works. I click the button again and it remove the = sign from my quote box which breaks it so I have to re-add it, any reason why it does this or if I'm still doing it wrong lol.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yeah and no. It's works like this
Let me explain:

It works like this fine:
Views: 18
Size:  59.5 KB
Which makes it look like this:
Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 21
Size:  50.5 KB
Which works fine but is not the proper way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also works like this:
Name:  Capture3.PNG
Views: 25
Size:  48.5 KB
BUT
When I click the button to see what it would look like normally it works. I click the button again and it remove the = sign from my quote box which breaks it so I have to re-add it, any reason why it does this or if I'm still doing it wrong lol.
Probably just a bug - I notice things like that all the time. Are you able to get it to work though?
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
Probably just a bug - I notice things like that all the time. Are you able to get it to work though?
Yeah I can get it working but just the long way bu that's okay. Thanks for all your help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (84)
18.58%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (128)
28.32%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (166)
36.73%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (60)
13.27%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (14)
3.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed