The Student Room Group

Paralegal Apprenticeship

Anyone done/doing one of these? I'm considering it after getting a-levels. Tell me your experience :smile:
Yeah I'm doing one. I work for a personal injury firm and honestly I really like it there, the whole office is really fun we have Christmas parties and they bring buffets into work all the time pretty frequently. I would say my office definitely eased me in, they started me off in the operations team who would basically upload the emails to the files, scan the documents onto the files and over time they get you doing more and more I take quite a lot of calls now, they had me filling in a defendant's claims notification form. The course itself I'm really enjoying we're doing a topic called introduction to law at the moment and it goes over alternative methods of setting claims to litigation, what different courts are used for and the hierarchy of courts, how law is made in parliament, EU law and the hierarchy of courts. We also have a law tutor that comes in to talk to us and we have to tick off and talk about how we demonstrated attributes of the paralegal standard so for example you know about, follow and know the consequences of what happens if you dont follow the equality act 2010. My apprenticeship is 2 years long and I started it in January and its 80% time basically working as normal and 20% off the job time which is basically anything like the online webinars we have or tasks we're set by the people we are taking our qualification with.
Original post by Chewbecca72
Yeah I'm doing one. I work for a personal injury firm and honestly I really like it there, the whole office is really fun we have Christmas parties and they bring buffets into work all the time pretty frequently. I would say my office definitely eased me in, they started me off in the operations team who would basically upload the emails to the files, scan the documents onto the files and over time they get you doing more and more I take quite a lot of calls now, they had me filling in a defendant's claims notification form. The course itself I'm really enjoying we're doing a topic called introduction to law at the moment and it goes over alternative methods of setting claims to litigation, what different courts are used for and the hierarchy of courts, how law is made in parliament, EU law and the hierarchy of courts. We also have a law tutor that comes in to talk to us and we have to tick off and talk about how we demonstrated attributes of the paralegal standard so for example you know about, follow and know the consequences of what happens if you dont follow the equality act 2010. My apprenticeship is 2 years long and I started it in January and its 80% time basically working as normal and 20% off the job time which is basically anything like the online webinars we have or tasks we're set by the people we are taking our qualification with.

That's really helpful, thank you. Would you say the work is quite varied or repetitive? Also what's the general attitude of higher-ups to apprentices - I've heard that apprentices can be treated poorly/etc due to being less experienced or whatever, do you find that in your firm?
Original post by strawberryleaves
That's really helpful, thank you. Would you say the work is quite varied or repetitive? Also what's the general attitude of higher-ups to apprentices - I've heard that apprentices can be treated poorly/etc due to being less experienced or whatever, do you find that in your firm?

No everyone in my firm is really nice to me, our whole office is mixed and is one room, I used to sit near the litigation team and we had a lot of office banter. Its basically just a job with some training on the side, loads of people in my office are doing it, there are people who are 30 in my office and are doing it and they're really great at their job they just want the qualifications to go with it. So yeah it's not looked down upon at all. They start you off on a few easy tasks to begin with and then build on that so its more varied as you learn really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending