The Student Room Group

economics gcse

i'm choosing my gcses and have decided to choose economics gcse (exam board is OCR) i'm just wondering if there is a lot of maths and graphs and whether its enjoyable, easy, hard etc
Hi, I'm a Yr11 GCSE Economics student, yes OCR. First thing I would say is, no...Economics is not a maths based subject! This is what I first thought when picking it, but all you need to know, in terms of maths, is how to use equations, e.g calculating PED, unemployment rates etc. Secondly, yes... quite a few graphs!... especially in the 'Micro' section, which involves the study of the government, firms and consumers. These graphs include the various types of demand and supply curves, e.g. INELASTIC and ELASTIC. However, the 'Macro' section, which focuses on large scale economic phenomena, e.g. RATE of INFLATION/UNEMPLOYMENT, government policies (Fiscal, Supply-Side, Monetary) is easy...if you can easily consolidate and memorise a lot of information (such as advantages/disadvantages of so and so...), then you should be fine for 'Macro'. 'Micro' you just need to know how graphs work and a few equations... and quite a lot of definitions for both 'Macro' and 'Micro'. Overall, it's a pretty interesting subject, but I'm not interested in taking Economics on further than GCSE. It can be hard at first, but as long as you familiarise yourself with the graphs and definitions you should be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest