louevab
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi! I'm an EU student and I recently got an offer to study at Exeter next year for a BS in Politics and International Relations. I wanted to know if Exeter is considered as a good school in the UK or is it seen as a rather average uni?
I want to get the most out of my uni years by taking part in sports teams, societies and enjoy the UK nightlife, but at the same time, I'm a rather serious student who wants to get perfect grades most of the times.
Do you think Exeter could be a good uni for me, or should I go to a more prestigious university like Durham?
Leah_argent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have visited both universities and am making the same decision as you .

It depends what you are looking for, both Durham and Exeter are excellent universities (Although I'm not sure about international relations) for politics Exeter ranks higher than Durham on The Complete University Guide. Both are Russel Group and have TEF Gold (The award for teaching and research quality)

According to a comparison on the Complete University Guide:

Ranking (for politics)
Exeter 8th
Durham 9th

Student Satisfaction
Exeter marginally higher than Durham

Research Quality
Exeter higher than Durham

Research intensity
Durham Higher than Exeter

From what I have seen:

Campus
Durham has a collegiate system
Exeter is a campus university
Both systems have merits and drawbacks depending on what you personally prefer.

Nightlife
Similar both cities are relatively quiet but have lots going on at the uni. Although from what I have seen Durham due to the collegiate system has more activities like formals, sports events etc...

Honestly both Universities are very similar both places are also very picturesque, Durham is cheaper and as one of the oldest Universities does possibly have a stronger name in the job market but Exeter is still very well respected.

Here's the link to The Complete University Guide:
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...&i=1221&i=1230
Last edited by Leah_argent; 9 months ago
louevab
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Leah_argent)
I have visited both universities and am making the same decision as you .

It depends what you are looking for, both Durham and Exeter are excellent universities (Although I'm not sure about international relations) for politics Exeter ranks higher than Durham on The Complete University Guide. Both are Russel Group and have TEF Gold (The award for teaching and research quality)

According to a comparison on the Complete University Guide:

Ranking (for politics)
Exeter 8th
Durham 9th

Student Satisfaction
Exeter marginally higher than Durham

Research Quality
Exeter higher than Durham

Research intensity
Durham Higher than Exeter

From what I have seen:

Campus
Durham has a collegiate system
Exeter is a campus university
Both systems have merits and drawbacks depending on what you personally prefer.

Nightlife
Similar both cities are relatively quiet but have lots going on at the uni. Although from what I have seen Durham due to the collegiate system has more activities like formals, sports events etc...

Honestly both Universities are very similar both places are also very picturesque, Durham is cheaper and as one of the oldest Universities does possibly have a stronger name in the job market but Exeter is still very well respected.

Here's the link to The Complete University Guide:
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...&i=1221&i=1230
thanks a lot! I appreciate it
Spanishgirllll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi !! I’m having the same dilemma having to choose between Exeter and Durham for PPE!!! Which one do you think is a better uni in social but also academically aspects for PPE ? Where are you from? I am from Spain
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (433)
56.53%
I don't have everything I need (333)
43.47%

Watched Threads