The Student Room Group

How is property income calculated for supporting application purposes

I am the parent of someone, making a supporting application for finance loan. I have property income, however with the new rules on mortgage interest payments, the income HMRC have is higher than my actual income. For tax credits purposes, they use the net figure after mortgage costs, so this is what I used for the supporting application for student finance, but there is a variance (which I can demonstrate in my tax return as being the mortgage interest payments). Please advise, because my actual income is the lower figure, and it affects bursary that my daughter could be awarded at the University as well as the amount of the loan. thanks
Original post by lesley.brooks
I am the parent of someone, making a supporting application for finance loan. I have property income, however with the new rules on mortgage interest payments, the income HMRC have is higher than my actual income. For tax credits purposes, they use the net figure after mortgage costs, so this is what I used for the supporting application for student finance, but there is a variance (which I can demonstrate in my tax return as being the mortgage interest payments). Please advise, because my actual income is the lower figure, and it affects bursary that my daughter could be awarded at the University as well as the amount of the loan. thanks

Hi Lesley, the income you declare on property income will be the amount you receive before any additional costs/expenses have been deducted.
The figure we need you to provide is the amount shown on the 'Adjusted profit for the year' on the tax return, this can be found on the UK property section.
Thanks, Isaac.
Thank you Isaac, so in summary and clarity, the figure student finance use for property income is the net profit figure after all costs and expenses including mortgage cost interest payments. So to evidence this, I can send my tax return with the property income and expenses and finance costs shown, to highlight and evidence this variance. And Student finance will use the lower (net profit) figure as income amount. thank you Lesley
Original post by lesley.brooks
Thank you Isaac, so in summary and clarity, the figure student finance use for property income is the net profit figure after all costs and expenses including mortgage cost interest payments. So to evidence this, I can send my tax return with the property income and expenses and finance costs shown, to highlight and evidence this variance. And Student finance will use the lower (net profit) figure as income amount. thank you Lesley

We ask sponsors to provide their gross income, the figure before tax and deductions. For your property income you should give us the figure from the "'Adjusted profit for the year" on the tax return. We will check the income you provide with the tax office so if anything is incorrect then we may contact you to ask for evidence.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending