The Student Room Group

What are the most important things to consider when choosing a uni?

Because of Covid-19 it’s looking like a lot of uni open days are going to be cancelled or at the very least postponed for a significant period. Given the fact that I may not be able to visit some of the campuses to get a real feel for the atmosphere prior to applying what do you think are the most important things to research and think about when applying to uni?
Hmm, I mean the course content and the location of the uni is part of it - like find out as well from reviews or something how good the teaching is and see if you can contact people and ask what the assessments are like. But also have a look at the surrounding area - money is an object so you want to find out about rent and living expenses and also if there's stuff in the area that you like to do - clubs, bars, pubs, cinema, gyms etc., those are all important too. Any clubs or societies you might be interested in as well! You're not just going there to study, it's a whole experience so check out whatever you think is important to you. Some unis have virtual, online open days so it might be worth looking for/at those as well.
Reply 2
Unfortunately, I'm in the same situation as you are but I would say
- the course you are applying for : comparing the courses in each university, which one is the most interesting? amount of contact hours, is there a year abroad, etc
- the campus : the accommodation (catered or self-catered? collegiate system? fees? location, etc), societies, sports teams, nightlife, etc
- the location : seems of no great importance but can sometimes play a big part, especially when you hesitate between a uni in London or in... Durham haha. Try to have a look of the city online, and sometimes a small and dull city at first can hide beautiful sceneries:wink:
- the prestige & recognition : this one can be quite controversial but I think you should consider this at least a bit, even though at the end of the day you'll choose the uni your heart wants...
Reply 3
All the above-mentioned factors are important and there are numerous articles about this topic that you can, and probably already have, read.
I would like to add that an important factor is what your goals are.
e.g. Do you want to find a job immediately after the uni and thus want a more industry-oriented course or do you want research opportunities in order to pursue a PhD afterward? Do you want to follow a course that offers flexibility and gives you a broad perspective or a more specialized course? What kind of international experience and opportunities do you seek? Where do you want to live or be recruited?

Moreover, have you already decided on all the above factors, applied and now you have to decide among your offers or are you at the beginning of your search?

Original post by Tootyflutey_
Because of Covid-19 it’s looking like a lot of uni open days are going to be cancelled or at the very least postponed for a significant period. Given the fact that I may not be able to visit some of the campuses to get a real feel for the atmosphere prior to applying what do you think are the most important things to research and think about when applying to uni?

Hey,

I think my top 5 things to look at when selecting what University to go to would be
- The course overview (Ranking, course break down, modules)
-The campus (facilities, accommodation)
- The Location or the City in general (life there, environment, people)
- Finances (your budget and how it fits into the life at that university)
- Opportunities and availability of resources (Jobs, gym, shopping areas, transport systems)

Hope this helps.
Doreen-maria - Official Student Rep 😀

Hi @Tootyflutey_
I would start by looking at your course, thinking about what modules are offered, whether you get to choose what modules you take and what kind of assessments you will have to do.
Also, deciding on whether you would prefer to be on a campus or in a city may help narrow things down a bit.
Looking at student life, both what is on offer in terms of clubs and societies you might want to join and in terms of support offered by the uni if you need it.
Hope this helps- feel free to ask if you have any more questions
Sophie

Hi @Tootyflutey_

I would say the course content so to look at the individual modules different uni’s offer and see which ones you would be interested in the most.

I would also recommend looking at any wider opportunities the courses offer at each uni as some for example when I made my university decision getting practical work experience was a big factor for me so I chose the uni which would offer me the opportunity to go on placement.

You could also look at what the university offers as a whole such as wider support, careers services and any extra-curricular activities.

The location of the city will be important depending on if you want to be close to home or further away. Also, you will be living there for the next couple of years so see what each city has to offer. You may also want to consider the general living expenses and accommodation at each uni.

Some uni's will be doing virtual open days so make the most of these as they are a great way to ask current students at the uni any questions you have.

Zaira 😊

Hey @Tootyflutey_,

You can do an online Virtual campus tour - https://virtualtours.coventry.ac.uk/welcome to see the campus and how it looks like and see some of the facilities that are on campus.

Most important thing is to look at the course that you will be studying and if it aligns with your future goals and if the course can aid you to get to wherever you want to go in the future. Which means looking at the modules that you will be studying in that course and how you be assessed.

Next to look out is what university has to offer apart from the course you want to study i.e. societies, sports and international trips which will give you an overall student experience at university. Also, look at what university has in pave for you when it comes to offering help when applying for internships and graduate roles as this is the path most students take after university.

I hope this helps you in finding the right university.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Arsh Shaikh
Coventry University - Coventry Campus
Financial Economics.
I used the 4 cs when choosing
Course - Does it have the topics i want to study? What facilities are there? Is it accreditied etc.
City - Town or city? What facilities does it have?
Culture - Student life, waht do i want out of that? Does it accomodate that? etc. Library/study culture
Campus - what would your accomodation be like? Facilities on campus? Or maybe its not a campus uni?

I would get in touch and try to talk to a lecturer because those are what really changed my mind on where I wanted to be.
Other less major things to consider are scholarships, are you eligible? Reputation of both the uni and the course itself.

Loook at virtual tours, and remmeber thatmost places will not fill you every desire but some more than others deifnitly
Original post by anaindiemood

Hey :smile:

How are you?

I hope you're keeping safe and well during this time!

I'd definitely recommend having a look at whether any of the uni's have a Virtual Experience on their website! It's a cool way to be able to explore campus, lecture rooms, facilities, maybe even the city from the comfort of your own :smile:

You could also check out student blogs, social media takeovers and vlogs - they're a fab insight into student life and get an authentic feel for student life :smile:

Equally, you may be able to chat to current students and ask about what studying at the uni is REALLY like! I know we have a 'chat to our current students' webpage where you can use unibuddy to chat to students about the course you're interested in, city life, societies, the campus in general etc!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending