The Student Room Group

Gap Year 2021 Travel

Heyyy, I’m thinking of taking a gap year next year (2021) and I’d like to go travelling from about April until June /July. I’m not really sure where I want to go yet but I’ve always wanted to go to California or Hawaii. I’d be happy to go to other places though. I don’t like the idea of travelling on my own and all my friends are going straight to uni so is there anyone in a similar situation who would be interested in coming?
Hey I am in a pretty similar situation to you! I would love to chat more with you about this!!
Original post by tash42
Heyyy, I’m thinking of taking a gap year next year (2021) and I’d like to go travelling from about April until June /July. I’m not really sure where I want to go yet but I’ve always wanted to go to California or Hawaii. I’d be happy to go to other places though. I don’t like the idea of travelling on my own and all my friends are going straight to uni so is there anyone in a similar situation who would be interested in coming?

Hi @tash42,

I went on a gap year before starting at UEA in 2018, and I can definitely give you my experience! I did 3 months in Malawi for around £750 with the ICS scheme, which worked out very cheap and I really enjoyed. I then paid to go on Camp Thailand for 3 weeks which was so good to get to travel around etc. They also run some alternatives to Camp America but in and around America still so would be worth looking at! All in all, I would recommend using Skyscanner or STA travel as they are a student travel services who give a student discount.

Any other questions on how I paid for things or what I packed, feel free :smile:

Becca
Original post by Rhys Hopkins
Hey I am in a pretty similar situation to you! I would love to chat more with you about this!!

Same here. None of my friends r doing gap years and idk if I wanna go travelling alone.
Original post by Ruby123:)
Same here. None of my friends r doing gap years and idk if I wanna go travelling alone.

I’m going to be taking a gap year!
Original post by ChloexAdele
I’m going to be taking a gap year!

What kinda thing r u thinking of doing for it?
What kinda thing r u thinking of doing for it?

hopefully travelling if we can! working more at my job to save up, learning to drive and also working towards what I want to study which is fashion business/promotion so maybe starting a blog etc :smile:
hopefully travelling if we can! working more at my job to save up, learning to drive and also working towards what I want to study which is fashion business/promotion so maybe starting a blog etc :smile:

That sounds so cool! I also wanna travel and learn to drive. I’ve been looking at this website called workaway where u volunteer abroad in exchange for accommodation and board. You should check it out as a lot of places r looking for people interested in business and promotion.
That sounds so cool! I also wanna travel and learn to drive. I’ve been looking at this website called workaway where u volunteer abroad in exchange for accommodation and board. You should check it out as a lot of places r looking for people interested in business and promotion.

that sounds so good thank you so much!! I did see camp Bali too which looked good! What are you looking to study? :smile:
that sounds so good thank you so much!! I did see camp Bali too which looked good! What are you looking to study? :smile:

I might have to give camp Bali a look! I’ve applied for health and exercise science/ sports science. What do u want to study?
More ideas to try
Do Yoga
Embrace Meditation
Do Exercise
Learn a new skill or language
Try patchwork etc
Investigate your ancestors
Write reviews
Paint
Draw
Practice gratefulness
Breathe
Smile
I might have to give camp Bali a look! I’ve applied for health and exercise science/ sports science. What do u want to study?

Fashion business/promotion but I’m going to apply next year instead so I can work on my ps etc! Where have you applied? I think my top choice is going to be Manchester Met
Fashion business/promotion but I’m going to apply next year instead so I can work on my ps etc! Where have you applied? I think my top choice is going to be Manchester Met

My top choice is Birmingham but I’ve also applied to Bath, Loughborough, Nottingham Trent and Manchester Met. I hope some offers come through soon!
My top choice is Birmingham but I’ve also applied to Bath, Loughborough, Nottingham Trent and Manchester Met. I hope some offers come through soon!

Thanks! I reckon I’m going to apply to Man Met, Nottingham Trent, Salford, Sheffield Hallam and possibly London College of Fashion! Good luck with everything :smile:

Quick Reply