The Student Room Group

Laptop recommendations

Hi! I am going to be going to Uni in September and currently only have an IPad so was looking for some type of laptop. I am going to be studying engineering so (if possible) would like a laptop that would be able to run CAD programs. I am pretty useless when it comes to laptops and what’s good and what’s bad so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?? Max budget £300
Original post by Calebb
Hi! I am going to be going to Uni in September and currently only have an IPad so was looking for some type of laptop. I am going to be studying engineering so (if possible) would like a laptop that would be able to run CAD programs. I am pretty useless when it comes to laptops and what’s good and what’s bad so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?? Max budget £300

Whilst having CAD on your laptop would be beneficial I really wouldn't install it on a £300 laptop. Besides your going to need a big display, proper keyboard and mouse to use it anyway.

Also as you progress through your degree you might have to use CFD, FEA etc. which is far more computationally demanding then CAD and probably wont operate well on a £300 PC.

Get a computer that comfortably handle: office, matlab, chrome at the same time. If it can handle solidworks or similar then good for you, but realistically you could just use uni PC's for design (and in years 2/3/4 of your degree the computational engineering programs such as Ansys/starCCM/Hyperworks etc.).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending