Help for resitters (private candidates)

Watch
knight999
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Wiseteller)
Hello Sir. I think I speak for a fair portion of candidates, who have taken a gap year to resit their exams in pursuit of a better future, and now face an unfair and bitter ending to their journey, as many are being refused the grades by their centres, and will have to take another gap year due to the Autumn exams. Worse, is the fact that many high ranking universities, which us resitters had aspired to attend with our better grades, have said we must wait another entire year in order to attend. This is unfair, and is causing great suffering to the mental and physical heath of us resitting candidates. Do you have anything to say on this urgent matter, and moreover, do you think you can do anything to help, and give us a fair solution that does not worsen our already bad situations?
Yes this is my situation also. After narrowly missing my A grade in A-level maths last year I deserve my A grade this year to progress onto my chosen course of medicine this year. People like myself who are resitting exams have already taken a year out to work hard on our grades so that we could improve and go to university this year. However the actions of certain exam centres of simply refusing to award grades and the proposal of autumn exams for resitters is simply not fair. The aim of taking a gap year and resitting was to progress however there are no options for resitters at the moment that will allow this, in fact it only delays our progression onto higher education as it adds yet another gap year for students resitting. As a result many resitters will feel pressurised into choosing the wrong career choice this year to avoid this additional gap year simply for the sake of being at university. Furthermore I do not understand how certain exam centre are simply refusing to award grades when surely they have previous attainment as a source of evidence to award private candidates. To summarise, the options put forward for resit student are very unfair and conflict the idea of the awarding system being fair for everyone.

I hope a fair solution for resitting students (private candidates) can be put forward soon as the current situation is causing huge anxiety for us all.
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by med123456^^)
Yes this is my situation also. After narrowly missing my A grade in A-level maths last year I deserve my A grade this year to progress onto my chosen course of medicine this year. People like myself who are resitting exams have already taken a year out to work hard on our grades so that we could improve and go to university this year. However the actions of certain exam centres of simply refusing to award grades and the proposal of autumn exams for resitters is simply not fair. The aim of taking a gap year and resitting was to progress however there are no options for resitters at the moment that will allow this, in fact it only delays our progression onto higher education as it adds yet another gap year for students resitting. As a result many resitters will feel pressurised into choosing the wrong career choice this year to avoid this additional gap year simply for the sake of being at university. Furthermore I do not understand how certain exam centre are simply refusing to award grades when surely they have previous attainment as a source of evidence to award private candidates. To summarise, the options put forward for resit student are very unfair and conflict the idea of the awarding system being fair for everyone.

I hope a fair solution for resitting students (private candidates) can be put forward soon as the current situation is causing huge anxiety for us all.
Hey there,

Sorry the Minister couldn't get to your question today. She did answer a couple of similar ones here though:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...424&highlight=
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...360&highlight=

I hope that's helpful!

BB
knight999
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Hey there,

Sorry the Minister couldn't get to your question today. She did answer a couple of similar ones here though:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...424&highlight=
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...360&highlight=

I hope that's helpful!

BB
Hello BB,

Even though I didn’t directly receive a response from her the answer that you have attached applies to me too.
Thank you for your helpful guidance
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by med123456^^)
Hello BB,

Even though I didn’t directly receive a response from her the answer that you have attached applies to me too.
Thank you for your helpful guidance
Hey there,
Ah I'm really glad mate. You're super welcome.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (5)
14.29%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
31.43%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
5.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (4)
11.43%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.86%
I think it's an unfair expectation (11)
31.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed