A Level Options for Biology

Watch this thread
Frankie_SP
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've chosen Geography, Biology and RS to do for my A-Levels. I'm hoping to go onto uni to do biology. I understand that many universities require a second science or maths; many accept geography as a science but the more prestigious ones (ie. oxbridge, durham...) tend to lean towards having chemistry - or at least doing an additional course during uni. My question is, is it worth doing chemistry at A-Level (which i'm good at but really do not enjoy), or should I make A-Levels easier for myself and hope they accept me with the A-Levels I've already chosen.
Last edited by Frankie_SP; 2 years ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Frankie_SP)
So I've chosen Geography, Biology and RS to do for my A-Levels. I'm hoping to go onto uni to do biology (specifically maybe more natural science than chemistry related biology). I understand that many universities require a second science or maths; many accept geography as a science but the more prestigious ones (ie. oxbridge, durham...) tend to lean towards having chemistry - or at least doing an additional course during uni. My question is it worth doing chemistry at alevel (which i'm good at but really do not enjoy), or should I make alevels easier for myself and hope they accept me with the alevels I have.
I wouldn't take the risk and instead take Chemistry A-Level. It will also open up more doors in case in the future you change your mind. My friend has only taken Biology, History and English Literature and is finding it particularly hard to find a Biology degree that will only require one A-Level.
Personally, I take Chemistry A-Level so if you have any questions regarding that subject for A-Level, please do let me know.
Frankie_SP
Rep:
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I wouldn't take the risk and instead take Chemistry A-Level. It will also open up more doors in case in the future you change your mind. My friend has only taken Biology, History and English Literature and is finding it particularly hard to find a Biology degree that will only require one A-Level.
Personally, I take Chemistry A-Level so if you have any questions regarding that subject for A-Level, please do let me know.
Would the fact that I have geography (where as your friend has no other acceptable sciences) make it easier?
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Would the fact that I have geography (where as your friend has no other acceptable sciences) make it easier?
Which universities are you looking to go to?
Theloniouss
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Most high-tier unis don't accept geography as a science. I applied to Biology this year and of the unis I went to, they all either preferred or required a second science (not including geography). So it's a good idea to do chemistry as well.
Frankie_SP
Rep:
Which universities are you looking to go to?
I would like to go to a higher tier university but have no particular preference yet as to exactly where.
Frankie_SP
Rep:
(Original post by Knortfoxx)
Most high-tier unis don't accept geography as a science. I applied to Biology this year and of the unis I went to, they all either preferred or required a second science (not including geography). So it's a good idea to do chemistry as well.
I suppose it's looking like I should take chemistry then
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I would like to go to a higher tier university but have no particular preference yet as to exactly where.
Then as Knortfoxx has advised, please do take Chemistry.
Frankie_SP
Rep:
Then as Knortfoxx has advised, please do take Chemistry.
Okay, will do. Thank you for the advice!
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Okay, will do. Thank you for the advice!
You're welcome. Let me know if you have any specific questions about A-Level Chemistry.
Frankie_SP
Rep:
You're welcome. Let me know if you have any specific questions about A-Level Chemistry.
I have one right now actually, it's not required to be doings maths in addition to chemistry is it? (As I've heard this from a few people before).
5hyl33n
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I have one right now actually, it's not required to be doings maths in addition to chemistry is it? (As I've heard this from a few people before).
I currently take Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. I haven't found any of my subjects difficult and the Maths knowledge in Chemistry is pretty GCSE-based. There are many students in my A-Level class that don't take Math A-Level and they seem to be coping fine.
Frankie_SP
Rep:
I currently take Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. I haven't found any of my subjects difficult and the Maths knowledge in Chemistry is pretty GCSE-based. There are many students in my A-Level class that don't take Math A-Level and they seem to be coping fine.
That's good news, thank you!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
So I've chosen Geography, Biology and RS to do for my A-Levels. I'm hoping to go onto uni to do biology. I understand that many universities require a second science or maths; many accept geography as a science but the more prestigious ones (ie. oxbridge, durham...) tend to lean towards having chemistry - or at least doing an additional course during uni. My question is, is it worth doing chemistry at A-Level (which i'm good at but really do not enjoy), or should I make A-Levels easier for myself and hope they accept me with the A-Levels I've already chosen.
Hi Frankie_SP!

I would really recommend that you look into which Uni you would like to go to and then on their websites, have a look at what the requirements are for Biology. If the majority of the ones you'd like to apply to say Chemistry then definitely take that as it will get you to your ultimate goal. I know it is hard to look this far ahead but it really is needed, especially when wanting to take a degree in science.

Hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Frankie_SP
Rep:
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi Frankie_SP!

I would really recommend that you look into which Uni you would like to go to and then on their websites, have a look at what the requirements are for Biology. If the majority of the ones you'd like to apply to say Chemistry then definitely take that as it will get you to your ultimate goal. I know it is hard to look this far ahead but it really is needed, especially when wanting to take a degree in science.

Hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep
Okay, thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (134)
66.34%
No (46)
22.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.89%

Watched Threads