The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone, please?
Reply 2
If you are holding a conditional offer and you meet the terms of that offer (or Birmingham decides to take you even if you didn't), you are committed to going to Birmingham unless you persuade them to release you. On or after Results Day, this can take time to negotiate, and you would need to come up with a better reason than a preference for being in London. Until you have been released and UCAS has been informed of this, you will not have a Clearing number so although there's nothing to stop you contacting unis you won't be able to do anything about an offer, and the unis may not be prepared to wait as they will have other candidates to consider.

The only situation in which you will be able to decline a place at Birmingham on Results Day is if they have offered you an alternative course because you didn't meet their requirements for your first choice.

You become eligible for Clearing either when Birmingham refuses to take you, or you decline their offer of an alternative course, or when UCAS has been notified by them of your release.

Track is now "frozen" for everyone until Results Day.

Your Clearing passport is posted to you. Clearing doesn't open until 14 August, and from the end of this week unis will not be talking to anyone at all. If you want to negotiate your release before Results Day (which if you are sure you don't want to go to Birmingham you should) you need to do it today.

That said, you need to find out whether the courses you are interested in are likely to be in Clearing. You could check the Extra listings but this is not a foolproof guide. You may find that in fact there isn't a suitable course likely to be on offer, in which case you may wish to reconsider your thinking about Birmingham. One point you might like to remember is that the cost of living is much much higher in London.
Reply 3
Thank you very much for your well-structured advice and a comprehensive one too, cheers :wink:

But one thing that struck me that the London Unis that do offer vacancies at the moment, aren't top-ranked, whilst Birmingham is. I was thinking of Kingston, which has a good Geography/ Environmental Science dept.

So i might regret ditching Birmingham, due to it being a fairly top-ranked uni.
I can afford to live in London :smile: been there a couple of times already.
What sort of excuse can i come up with, please....i don't think i have a very convincing one.
Thanks once again.
Reply 4
Yes you might regret ditching Birmingham for Kingston, and not just because of the ranking difference.

I've no idea what your circumstances are, so can't help you with the excuse I'm afraid!
Reply 5
Minerva
Yes you might regret ditching Birmingham for Kingston, and not just because of the ranking difference.

I've no idea what your circumstances are, so can't help you with the excuse I'm afraid!

Well i have lots of friends from my overseas school who have applied to London Unis, most of whom are British nationals, so seeing them around helps to relieve the feeling of being homesick...which i am more prone to feeling in Birmingham coz i've never been there, whereas with London i'm more familiar with the settings and everything...
Also, i am close to somebody near London, so it is another bonus to attend a Uni closeby to that person..
One more thing relatives will be visiting London often...
So, is that good reasoning, do you think?
Thanks.
Reply 6
I live in Birmingham, and while its not my favourite place, if you like London, Birmingham is just a slightly smaller, cheaper version of it. I understand your reasoning but just make sure you are sure you don't want to go to Birmingham before you do anything.

Also, Birmingham to London on train doesn't take that long at all, and with a young persons railcard isnt that expensive. so you could still see your friends if you decide to come here

Its your decision in the end though
Reply 7
d123
I live in Birmingham, and while its not my favourite place, if you like London, Birmingham is just a slightly smaller, cheaper version of it. I understand your reasoning but just make sure you are sure you don't want to go to Birmingham before you do anything.

Also, Birmingham to London on train doesn't take that long at all, and with a young persons railcard isnt that expensive. so you could still see your friends if you decide to come here

Its your decision in the end though

Should i use that reasoning to beg them (Birmingham) to release me?
And not being in the UK atm, should i e-mail the admissions tutor? instead of phoning them.
I don't know, i just don't feel at ease going to Birmingham.
It's very difficult for me giving the fact that i'm a foreigner and virtually everyone i know lives in and around London.
Reply 8
I don't want to wait till results day, becoz they'll just delay my clearing passport and everything...

will Kingston accept me, say with C's?
they don't state the grades on their site, just tariff points
Reply 9
I'd say, be careful. A lot of people get worried as Results Day gets closer - wondering if they've chosen the right uni, course, accommodation, whatever. You must have liked Birmingham at one time to have applied there. You don't have to travel very far to feel homesick, and you will be with lots of people who are missing home and friends too. London really isn't that far from Birmingham, which has a great deal to offer.

It's unlikely that Kingston would ask higher grades than Birmingham, but you never know. If their offers are only stated in terms of tariff points, you would probably be all right unless you missed your Birmingham offer by miles.
Reply 10
Minerva
I'd say, be careful. A lot of people get worried as Results Day gets closer - wondering if they've chosen the right uni, course, accommodation, whatever. You must have liked Birmingham at one time to have applied there. You don't have to travel very far to feel homesick, and you will be with lots of people who are missing home and friends too. London really isn't that far from Birmingham, which has a great deal to offer.

It's unlikely that Kingston would ask higher grades than Birmingham, but you never know. If their offers are only stated in terms of tariff points, you would probably be all right unless you missed your Birmingham offer by miles.

I guess i didn't give the location of my chosen Uni a lot of thought then.
Because, i made my mind up now, i am willing to study any Environmental Science or geography course at Kingston, regardless of its ranking....
Also, i thought a lot of ppl were heading to the westmidlands, turns out my best friend is going to be studying business at Kingston :smile:
All that matters to me is my welfare and as long as Kingston offers the courses i'm interested in, i'm okay with it.
But i face one problem convincing Birmingham to release me.....:confused:
Reply 11
Birmingham did say they'll accept a B and 2 C's
But Kingston only stated tariff points 280-320
Reply 12
sk8ter_girl
Birmingham did say they'll accept a B and 2 C's
But Kingston only stated tariff points 280-320
Which will probably include your AS grade/s as well - you'll have to check their website/UCAS entry. If it excludes AS grades, then you may have a problem if you only have BCC (260 points).
Reply 13
Typical offer
Units: to include two A-levels or equivalent

Subjects:

A-levels or equivalent: Geography or Mathematics or other science subject required. General Studies not normally accepted.
Key Skills: points accepted in tariff.
Plus GCSE (A–C): Mathematics and English Language.

that's what it says on the Kingston website for the Earth Systems course.
Reply 14
In that case, you should be OK, if they have places.
Reply 15
Minerva
In that case, you should be OK, if they have places.

So the points include AS grades as well as A-LEVEL grades?
Reply 16
Depends on the uni - you will just to have look it up on each uni website.
Reply 17
I'm another international student but my situation is a bit more complicated....
I got the result for 1 out of 4 of my subjects, because it's a Cambridge board exam.
But was way lower than i'd ever expected...(< C) :frown:
That being said i am not considering to go to the University that gave me my one and only conditional, firm offer,
i'm still waiting for them to release me, i left an urgent voice message for them yesterday and will re-ring them on monday.

The rest of my results will come out on the 14th...
Shall i wait till tomorrow to re-ring the Uni up to release me? And until Thursday to view the rest of my grades and get on with clearing and choosing other Unis?

Finally, is there any chance of me getting hold of the admissions today and ask to be released? because i think they already have the rest of my A-level grades, right?

Thanks everyone.
Today they may be in doing admin stuff but I think there is zero chance they will take calls like this- only tomorrow. But nothing ventured, nothing gained so always give it a go the worst is you still have to wait until tomorrow.
Reply 19
Jennie1987
Today they may be in doing admin stuff but I think there is zero chance they will take calls like this- only tomorrow. But nothing ventured, nothing gained so always give it a go the worst is you still have to wait until tomorrow.

Could you please tell me as to why they don't take in such calls tomorrow?
And if they don't pick up today, should i leave the same voice message as yestersay? or....?

Latest

Trending

Trending