The Student Room Group

Want to do computer science dad isnt letting me

I really want to do computer science however my dad is trying to force me into medicine. I need to persuade my dad into letting me do computer science, however, it's going to take a lot more than the fact I enjoy it and want to pursue it to cut it.
I tell him about the job prospects with computer science but he replies back saying that doctors will always be in demand.
Is there any other good persuasive ideas that I could tell my dad (such as any stats on prospects for computer science graduates in the UK) so that I can just do what I want to do.
I wish this wasn't a problem in the first place.
Any help would definitely be appreciated
Reply 1
Try the average graduate salaries surveys. For a fair number of the top universities average CS grads earn very well.
Original post by fwasddf
I really want to do computer science however my dad is trying to force me into medicine. I need to persuade my dad into letting me do computer science, however, it's going to take a lot more than the fact I enjoy it and want to pursue it to cut it.
I tell him about the job prospects with computer science but he replies back saying that doctors will always be in demand.
Is there any other good persuasive ideas that I could tell my dad (such as any stats on prospects for computer science graduates in the UK) so that I can just do what I want to do.

Exactly who is doing the studying for this degree? You are - its YOUR future - not his. Get help from school if you are struggling to apply for the course you want.
Reply 3
Maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know in this case. But this kind of attitude from parents where they dictate which career their child goes into is completely baffling to me.
Original post by fwasddf

Growth of the digital industry in the UK has consistently exceeded growth of all others, and that's not going to slow down.

Medicine will always be in demand, and it is 'stable'.

Digital will always be in demand (unless a catastrophe happens), and it is 'growing' as well.

Where there is more growth, there is more opportunity. Digital forms an underpinning role to many other sectors as well. Without digital today, almost every other sector would be fekked. Apart from agriculture, and construction. And bread making, maybe. lol
Point out to your dad the shame in being struck from the GMC as a doctor when your inevitable negligence due to not caring at all about your profession leads to patient deaths will be much greater than the "shame" of going into another industry instead of medicine...
(edited 4 years ago)
Don't give in and do what you want to do. It's your life not his. He isn't going to be studying and sitting the exams, you are. If you do something you don't really want to do you will regret it. If you do something you love and even fail at it, at least it was your decision that you made. Always listen to yourself. If a parent really loved you, they wouldn't force them to study something. I sense a hint of 'reputation' - eg. being able to brag 'my son is going to be a Doctor'. It's so prevalent in the Asian community and I'm sick of it. My elder brother did Computer Science because he loved it. He's in his early 30's earning around £100k+, not kidding.
It's really sad that you have to convince him to be able to study what you want. So sorry I assumed you are Asian, I thought you wrote that for some reason lol. Apologies!
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Exactly who is doing the studying for this degree? You are - its YOUR future - not his. Get help from school if you are struggling to apply for the course you want.

I know what you mean and thas wht i keep saying to myself, however in my household you say that sentence to your dad and you are getting ur suitcase thrown out the front window.
Reply 9
Original post by SuperFly
Don't give in and do what you want to do. It's your life not his. He isn't going to be studying and sitting the exams, you are. If you do something you don't really want to do you will regret it. If you do something you love and even fail at it, at least it was your decision that you made. Always listen to yourself. If a parent really loved you, they wouldn't force them to study something. I sense a hint of 'reputation' - eg. being able to brag 'my son is going to be a Doctor'. It's so prevalent in the Asian community and I'm sick of it. My elder brother did Computer Science because he loved it. He's in his early 30's earning around £100k+, not kidding.

Most definitely a reputation thing where my dad doesnt understand the kind commitments you have to make and sacrifices to become a doctor.
I dont want to become some sort of ornament that my dad uses to brag to others about and in the meantime im working back to back 12 hour shifts in a job i hate.
Original post by fwasddf
I know what you mean and thas wht i keep saying to myself, however in my household you say that sentence to your dad and you are getting ur suitcase thrown out the front window.

I was not suggesting you say that to him - he sounds the sort that a teacher might persuade to listen :smile:
Original post by fwasddf
Most definitely a reputation thing where my dad doesnt understand the kind commitments you have to make and sacrifices to become a doctor.
I dont want to become some sort of ornament that my dad uses to brag to others about and in the meantime im working back to back 12 hour shifts in a job i hate.

As someone who initially had the idea of medicine as a career but is now fixated on Computer Science, I feel your pain. Your dad may see Computing as not having the same prestige that a doctor may have in his view. The fact is that Computer Scientists are more in demand than doctors at this present day and age, as technology is always growing and we use computers and tech virtually everywhere we go. One could argue that your better off as a Computer Scientist money wise and prospect wise then going into medicine. It is your future, not his...
Original post by fwasddf

I know someone that chose his career based on what his dad wanted him to do. He hated his work (40 hours a week for 40 years) and all his life he would blame his dad for not doing something he was more interested in. Personally I don't listen to my dad as I base my choices on doing my own research and weighing up the risks, pros and cons as opposed to someone that hasn't really done any research and bases his opinion on hearsay
Reply 13
Think my dad wishes I’d done computer science lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending