The Student Room Group

GCSE Biology

Does anyone know if the skin has anti-microbial properties?
Original post by helpme2005
Does anyone know if the skin has anti-microbial properties?

no, but the fauna of healthy bacteria you can find on your skin has some limited anti-microbial properties, in competing with other bacteria for oxygen etc.
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
no, but the fauna of healthy bacteria you can find on your skin has some limited anti-microbial properties, in competing with other bacteria for oxygen etc.

So could I not say that the skin is also a chemical barrier to microorganisms/ pathogens.
So could I not say that the skin is also a chemical barrier to microorganisms/ pathogens.

in biology the key is to always be as specific as possible :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
in biology the key is to always be as specific as possible :smile:

Thanks!

The previous answers you've been given are incorrect, and I would also recommend you always research someone's posting history in SH before blindly accepting answers :smile:

You are perfectly correct to say that the skin has a chemical barrier to micro-organisms. This is called the acid mantle, and the pH of the skin is about 5.5. This makes it inhospitable to bacteria.
Original post by Reality Check
The previous answers you've been given are incorrect, and I would also recommend you always research someone's posting history in SH before blindly accepting answers :smile:

You are perfectly correct to say that the skin has a chemical barrier to micro-organisms. This is called the acid mantle, and the pH of the skin is about 5.5. This makes it inhospitable to bacteria.

Thanks!

my apologies, i had forgotten about the acid mantle! again you must be specific - the acid mantle is made up of "natural oils, sweat, and dead skin cells" so in keeping with my advice on the need to be as specific as you possibly can, is is not the skin itself that has anti-microbial properties, but that the skin has a that layer of oils, sweat, dead cells that provides a barrier.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending