Sianfrances
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I shall be starting this year and i need to sort out my accommodation this year and i am just a bit overwhelmed with all the information. Ill technically be a "mature student" so if there are any mature students out there to give me a bit advice as to whether private or halls would be better and just any information really!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sianfrances)
I shall be starting this year and i need to sort out my accommodation this year and i am just a bit overwhelmed with all the information. Ill technically be a "mature student" so if there are any mature students out there to give me a bit advice as to whether private or halls would be better and just any information really!
How mature?
Which university?
What is it you want?
Have you looked at the accommodation available?

Its pretty straightforward.

Private halls:

Pro- more modern/ nicer rooms usually and more facilities.

Cons - may or may not be more expensive.
With way fewer freshers and other students may be in cliques or not sociable.
More rigid landlord in it for the money and will show less flexibility especially if you wish to cancel.
Guarantor or payment up front.
Rigid payment schedule.

Uniu Halls
Pro= more sociable as you are with many more freshers. Not a guarantee of friends, but your best chance, although friends can be made in other ways.
Often well located.
Contracts to match the term i.e 39/42/46 weeks rather than 52 in private so pay for what you need.
More flexible and reliable landlord.
No guarantor.

Cons
Halls tend to be of poorer quality and more basic, may lack gym , cinema room modern electrics etc.
Can sometimes (not always) be more expensive.

That's off the top of my head.

Accommodation process/pointers

Uni owned

Go to your uni page and read the accommodation info as on when and how to apply.
All unis differ but normally accept applications from students who have firmed.
They send offers out on a certain date and select according to their protocol to be read on the uni page.

You will need a deposit.
Unlikely to need a guarantor
Select the sort of room you want and check what each hall offers plus location and cost..
Keep a close eye on timetable of what you have to do by each date or you will miss your chance.

Private halls
For private you will need a deposit- you can apply now- once agreed and signed you are bound for the entire period and they will only let you off if you find a replacement. No room to change your mind.

You will need a deposit of c £250-500.
You will need a guarantor.
They may require a credit check.

With cv19 its questionable unless you are absolutely sure if you wish to book your accommodation now, especially in the offchance unis start online.

I would consider the above and weigh up which provides what you want. I believe I would apply for uni owned although some private halls can get a good rep they will have fewer freshers. As a mature that might not bother you. If you are actually mature late twenties plus, then consider a postgraduate hall or house if you want quiet or people your own age.
Last edited by 999tigger; 7 months ago
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sianfrances)
Private halls or university halls depends on what you are looking for.

They both have pros and cons. Most mature students that I know of stay in private halls. Private is more expensive but the rooms tend to be nicer. However, the landlords are not very flexible.

For private halls, you can apply now. But, once you have signed the agreement, you are responsible for the entire tenancy. The landlords will only let you off, if you find a replacement.

The deposits are about £250-500 & you will need a guarantor if you are not paying up the entire year in one go.
Sianfrances
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thanks for your detailed reply it had given me quite a bit to think OfI am 26, I have applied for Uwe in Bristol.I am looking for somewhere fairly easy to commute to and from. As I am moving out I don’t have accommodation to come home to so ideally I’d like somewhere where I don’t have to move out of as I’d have nowhere to put my belongings I’m fairly socialable but also happy to be alone, obviously would like to make friends but I’m not opposed to my own company.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (499)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (619)
41.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (303)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed