The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Full time Psychology - Open University Advice!

Hi there, I'm planning on studying full time at OU on the Psychology BSc. Just wondering from anyone who's done it, any advice before starting/during? How many hours a week did full time require? Especially first year? I haven't studied a whole load of psychology before, apart from in high school. Any good book recommendations? I'm starting in October so I'd like to get lots of reading in this summer. Thanks !!
Reply 1
Also am I right in thinking the course runs from October - end of May/June? I read that somewhere.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, I'm planning on studying full time at OU on the Psychology BSc. Just wondering from anyone who's done it, any advice before starting/during? How many hours a week did full time require? Especially first year? I haven't studied a whole load of psychology before, apart from in high school. Any good book recommendations? I'm starting in October so I'd like to get lots of reading in this summer. Thanks !!

Hey! I just finished my Psychology & Counselling BSc last year.

The level 1 modules are good introductory modules, so if you were to do 120 credits (full-time), the workload wouldn't be too intense. I did mine part-time, but wish I had done them full-time. The workload increases quite a lot between levels, though, and level 3 is a lot more demanding as you need to do your research project as well. Also, if you do 2 or 3 modules at the same time, it's likely your assignments may be due in around the same time, so you would need to be able to manage your time well for this.

As for reading, you really don't need to do any to prepare for level 1. Everything is provided and you should get your books way before you are due to start (August or September usually).

My advice would be to look ahead to your TMAs, make a note of due dates and what the topics are and keep notes related to them as you read the module materials. This will keep you organised and save a lot of time when it comes to working on assignments.

Hope this helps!

Loren

Quick Reply

Latest