The Student Room Group

GCSE options

If I chose math, English ,combined science ,history,french, child development and art can I become doctor?
Triple science would be the best thing to do but those options will be fine :smile:
Yh but my teachers said I was too dumb
Original post by apolaroidofus
Triple science would be the best thing to do but those options will be fine :smile:

Yh but my teachers said I’m too dumb and said I had to do combined science
Reply 4
ignore your teacher i was told i would never pass french or RE at gcse & got an A in both :smile: do the subjects you enjoy the most but definitely try & do triple science if you can !
Original post by jd1202
ignore your teacher i was told i would never pass french or RE at gcse & got an A in both :smile: do the subjects you enjoy the most but definitely try & do triple science if you can !

Where am I meant to study it from tho?my school chooses the kids “who could handle the pressure” and who r capable. They won’t let me.
Reply 6
maybe discuss it with your head of year & try to prove that you’re capable? i didn’t really have the best grades at school but was still allowed to study triple science? i’m sure they’ll let you if you convince them.
Reply 7
and also... the choice to study triple science would just broaden your knowledge in the subject. you wouldn’t need to pick it to be able to become a doctor, your gcses only really get you into sixth form, which you normally need 5 pass grades in any gcse including maths & english. it’s your a levels you need to worry about when it comes to wanting to be a doctor.
Original post by jd1202
maybe discuss it with your head of year & try to prove that you’re capable? i didn’t really have the best grades at school but was still allowed to study triple science? i’m sure they’ll let you if you convince them.

You r pretty lucky . We had an assembly with the deputy head teacher and head of year before cronovirus telling us that only the science faculty can pick the triple science kids and we couldn’t do nothing about it! Plus I am in set 1 but still I’m not allowed
Reply 9
maybe look into getting some work experience that involves medicine? so that when it comes to applying for university they know you have what it takes!
Reply 10
i’ve recently been accepted into uni with an unconditional offer for nursing, i know it’s not exactly becoming a doctor but it’s close enough, i didn’t even have a science a level... it’s more about the work experience that you have i think :smile:
Original post by Gcseproblems101
You r pretty lucky . We had an assembly with the deputy head teacher and head of year before cronovirus telling us that only the science faculty can pick the triple science kids and we couldn’t do nothing about it! Plus I am in set 1 but still I’m not allowed

combined science is fine, not all schools even ofter triple science - you just need good grades in combined science to prove you are good at science as well as good levels as medicine is super competitive
Original post by jd1202
maybe look into getting some work experience that involves medicine? so that when it comes to applying for university they know you have what it takes!

Ok thnx but like what type of work experience?
Original post by Gcseproblems101
Ok thnx but like what type of work experience?

at a hopsital, or volunteering at a old people's home or centre for children with special needs, anything that shows care for other people with some form of illness injury or disability, it is almost impossible to be accepted into medicine without this experience
Original post by emilybond:)
at a hopsital, or volunteering at a old people's home or centre for children with special needs, anything that shows care for other people with some form of illness injury or disability, it is almost impossible to be accepted into medicine without this experience

Ok thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest