The Student Room Group

Biomedical Genetics

I have been accepted from the Newcastle uni, any reviews about the course and the teaching?
Hi! I'm a current Biomed Genetics student at Newcastle Uni (3rd Year, turned in my dissertation a month ago).

When you go into first year, all the Biomedical Sciences courses (Biomedical Science, Genetics, Biochem, Physiology, and Pharmacology) will do the same 1st year to give you all a taste of each discipline and allow you the chance to change your mind at the end of first year. I entered in on the Biomedical Sciences course but ended up switching to Biomedical Genetics whereas my friend came in for Biomed Genetics and switched into Pharmacology.

I loved the course and what we were taught, especially when we got to the more genetics-specific modules (this happens in your 2nd year). If you haven't yet, I definitely recommend having a look at the modules you'll be studying from the degree page on the uni website. Our classes have been quite small these past few years (this year, we're a graduating class of 15 and I hear it was only 12 last year) but the number can fluctuate between 10 and 35. Personally, I like this set up better than the other courses as I felt like the lecturers were much more casual and approachable and our class got along alright.

If you have any specific questions about it, just let me know!
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your information, you really helped me. The thing is that I have to decide my first and second choise and I am confused between Newcastle and Dundee university. I am considering that the one is 3 and the other is 4 years and I believe both are equally good. From your experience I understood that the university of Newcastle was really good. Could you please give me some information about the accommodation in first year and about rent and and costs after this? Thank you very much for your reply!
Original post by effied
Thank you so much for your information, you really helped me. The thing is that I have to decide my first and second choise and I am confused between Newcastle and Dundee university. I am considering that the one is 3 and the other is 4 years and I believe both are equally good. From your experience I understood that the university of Newcastle was really good. Could you please give me some information about the accommodation in first year and about rent and and costs after this? Thank you very much for your reply!

So, NCL accommodation for first years varies in the price (have look at the hyperlink for the list of uni-managed accommodations). I, personally, was in Castle Leazes in first year (washbasin, catered). This wasn't my first choice (it was the only option left by the time I'd applied to accommodation), but it was great for me since it was literally a 5 minute walk to the Medical School (this is where you'll be having ALL of your lectures and practicals in first year). Anyone can opt into the catered plan, which is great if you're not quite yet sure of your cooking skills and would like a food safety net during the weekdays (Breakfast & Dinner are catered for you from Monday to Friday, then you're left to yourself on the weekends). A lot of us joke that Castle Leazes was terrible, but I survived haha. There are obviously better options (Marris House is also a 5 min walk to the Medical School, while Windsor Terrace is about 7-10 min (depending on the route you take) and this is up to you to decide which to pick. Park View was built after my first year but I do know people who were in it for their first year and they'd said it was alright (better than Castle Leazes). Castle Leazes did have its perks, like if you really enjoy going to parties and meeting new people and big crows then it's perfect for you (I'm more introverted and prefer a quiet flat and value my privacy, so a washbasin room wasn't great for me).

Newcastle is one of the cheapest cities to live in so prices weren't too bad for housing after first year; it was all just a matter of looking for the right house at the right timing (usually around late October/November was the sweet spot). Jesmond is a popular spot for Newcastle students to live in (I lived there in 2nd year) but you do need to be careful getting a house between Jesmond and West Jesmond if location is a priority for you when choosing location. I was lucky to get a house just at the edge of Jesmond near the NCL Walton Robinson library, so getting to my lectures in the Medical School wasn't too terrible. Rent prices for houses can range between £80 - £130+ (and this can include bills vs. without bills included) but also have the option stay at private (non-uni-managed) student halls (e.g. Vita Student and Student Roost). There are loads of options, so you should be able to find something you like!
Reply 4
Wow, this was surely really important information!
One last question I have is if you know anyone with university experience from Scotland? Are there better opportunities for working somewhere after you have finished an undergraduate course in England or in Scotland? I really can't decide where to go and no one in this forum replied to me for their experience in Dundee university..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending