An alternative way in calculating A level results 2020.

Watch
kathrynvylord
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I feel like a more effective way of calculating grades is if students go to college first and then the college holds an internal exam to make sure that the student is up to standard to start with their course. As ofqual is now asking teachers to rank their students, I feel this isn't quite fair as my class is full of academic scholars and I feel quite disadvantaged.
wannagetint lse
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I agree, the new grading system is flawed in my opinion. It is as if CIE is punishing me for not doing well in internal assessment but scoring in real external exams.
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by kathrynvylord)
I feel like a more effective way of calculating grades is if students go to college first and then the college holds an internal exam to make sure that the student is up to standard to start with their course. As ofqual is now asking teachers to rank their students, I feel this isn't quite fair as my class is full of academic scholars and I feel quite disadvantaged.
I think the problem with your idea is that then a year group of people have no actual A Levels. The internal testing between different unis will be wildly different so there won't be any consistency with people's qualifications.

I definitely agree about the student ranking thing, that's a really flawed system imo. I go to a private 6th form and have small class sizes (4-10 people), and we all tend to do really well academically, consistently getting A/A* - so I fail to see how Ofqual can rank us fairly. The difference between the 1st and last student would be 1 grade boundary, so on paper being ranked the last looks worse than it is.

Even the lowest scoring person in my economics class (9 people), for example, is aiming for a high A but they may get dropped a grade boundary to even out the scoring even though they're verging on A* territory...
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think more people here just need faith in teachers to do their jobs. Yes, this system isn't perfect but it is the best that we have at the moment. If people aren't happy, they can do an exam anyway.
tmr19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
I think more people here just need faith in teachers to do their jobs. Yes, this system isn't perfect but it is the best that we have at the moment. If people aren't happy, they can do an exam anyway.
I think the teachers will do a good job, especially considering the circumstances. I just think forcing them to rank the class will end up unfairly budging marginal students down grade boundaries. If they could rank everyone nationally then I think it would be fairer - I've already detailed the problems with doing it at smaller 6th forms
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by tmr19)
I think the teachers will do a good job, especially considering the circumstances. I just think forcing them to rank the class will end up unfairly budging marginal students down grade boundaries. If they could rank everyone nationally then I think it would be fairer - I've already detailed the problems with doing it at smaller 6th forms
I'm still not sure about the ranking system but I think that's because they haven't explained it very well. I doubt they will put people down just because they have 1 more person having an A than normal.
Last edited by username4867806; 6 months ago
tmr19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
I'm still not sure about the ranking system but I think that's because they haven't explained it very well. I doubt they will put people down just because they have 1 person having an A than normal.
I might be over fearful about this. But I'm just thinking if you have a class of A*A*A*AAAAA with the last few seperated by a small margin abilitywise, then if any adjustments are made to grade distribution (the whole point of ranking everyone), then that last person(s) is unfairly on the chopping block, even though they should be at a comfortable A.

Am I making sense
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by tmr19)
I might be over fearful about this. But I'm just thinking if you have a class of A*A*A*AAAAA with the last few seperated by a small margin abilitywise, then if any adjustments are made to grade distribution (the whole point of ranking everyone), then that last person(s) is unfairly on the chopping block, even though they should be at a comfortable A.

Am I making sense
I do understand what you're saying. I just want them to give proper detailed information about how they are checking the grades and ranking that teachers are giving.
kathrynvylord
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by tmr19)
I think the problem with your idea is that then a year group of people have no actual A Levels. The internal testing between different unis will be wildly different so there won't be any consistency with people's qualifications.

I definitely agree about the student ranking thing, that's a really flawed system imo. I go to a private 6th form and have small class sizes (4-10 people), and we all tend to do really well academically, consistently getting A/A* - so I fail to see how Ofqual can rank us fairly. The difference between the 1st and last student would be 1 grade boundary, so on paper being ranked the last looks worse than it is.

Even the lowest scoring person in my economics class (9 people), for example, is aiming for a high A but they may get dropped a grade boundary to even out the scoring even though they're verging on A* territory...
Of course people should have their actual A level results from their teachers so unis can have a reference of how well someone is doing. I meant internal testing as like an elimination process to see who would work better in their course.

I go to a private sixth form too so similar situation for me..
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by tmr19)

They will look at the grades normally achieved by your school in an attempt to achieve fairness. If most students normally get A* in Economics then that is what will happen this year.
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Compost)
They will look at the grades normally achieved by your school in an attempt to achieve fairness. If most students normally get A* in Economics then that is what will happen this year.
They are also taking into account that different year groups will perform differently.

Does anyone know how well the current Year 13s performed compared to last year's Year 13s?
tmr19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Compost)
I was wondering if they were adjusting for the 6th form - it's a relief if they do as that makes it a lot fairer and representative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.32%
I'm not sure (33)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.79%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (380)
49.16%

Watched Threads