The Student Room Group

Physics A level help

Hi everyone,
So I’m doing physics A level currently in year 12 and I’m finding it hard.I attempt a question and come back a week later and still can’t do it and I just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to get an A in this subject from experience

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi - I got ~A through most of my course, who knows what's happening with grades now though...

What grade did you get at GCSE? That might affect the helpful advice I can give :smile:
Original post by tmr19
Hi - I got ~A through most of my course, who knows what's happening with grades now though...

What grade did you get at GCSE? That might affect the helpful advice I can give :smile:

I got a 9 in gcse and currently on a B in physics after doing mocks
Reply 3
Original post by Summerset1276
I got a 9 in gcse and currently on a B in physics after doing mocks

I also got a 9 but did struggle at times with the A Level. I found that my general understanding was rarely the problem as I have a natural affinity and interest in physics, so I could grasp the concepts and general content quite well.

However I found the general question style and papers themselves to be quite problematic so I struggled quite a bit at times (not doing Maths didn't help :biggrin:). If you understand the overarching concept behind question, as I did 90% of the time, then I wouldn't waste time trying to look through a textbook but instead just crank out past paper questions as much as you can.

Imo that's the only real way to get used to the questions and the appropriate steps to solving them - being able to recite an essay on a topic is good and well but learning the steps/method for a question type is really the way forward.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tmr19
I also got a 9 but did struggle at times with the A Level. I found that my general understanding was rarely the problem as I have a natural affinity and interest in physics, so I could grasp the concepts and general content quite well.

However I found the general question style and papers themselves to be quite problematic so I struggled quite a bit at times (not doing Maths didn't help :biggrin:). If you understand the overarching concept behind question, as I did 90% of the time, then I wouldn't waste time trying to look through a textbook but instead just crank out past paper questions as much as you can.

Imo that's the only real way to get used to the questions and the appropriate steps to solving them - being able to recite an essay on a topic is good and well but learning the steps/method for a question type is really the way forward.

Same I don’t do maths either and the concepts are fine.Its just sometimes when I look at the questions and I know what topic it links to but have no idea how to answer it still and apply it.Im going to try and do more past papers! Thxxxx
Reply 5
Original post by Summerset1276
Same I don’t do maths either and the concepts are fine.Its just sometimes when I look at the questions and I know what topic it links to but have no idea how to answer it still and apply it.Im going to try and do more past papers! Thxxxx

Even though I'm good at maths and non verbal reasoning I did find some of the Y13 content to be more challenging - EM induction requires you to be really good at visualising things in a very mathematical way :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest