The Student Room Group

Durham vs UCL Engineering

I received an offer from both Durham, for General Eng, and UCL's Mechanical . I cannot make up my mind on which one to choose since, as an international student, I do not know much about Durham. Could you lend me a hand?
Reply 1
Hi, EU applicant here. (so I really don't know much more about them than you can research really)
Well, they look like rather different courses, with the one at Durham being much broader. I think you should take into account both the flexibility of the degree and the way it is taught (they differ very much in both perspectives so I suggest you take another look at the course structure).
One more thing: Think about which kind of city are you willing to live in. Durham is much smaller as a city and the uni is also collegiate, which might make the experience a bit different for everyone. (Which college sent you an offer at Durham?)
Original post by francisco.papa
I received an offer from both Durham, for General Eng, and UCL's Mechanical . I cannot make up my mind on which one to choose since, as an international student, I do not know much about Durham. Could you lend me a hand?

Both are well respected, neither are big "engineering" unis tho.

Do your prefer mechanical or general, read around the subjects & decide what you prefer and pick that course. Should you genuinly be at an impass: do you prefer a collegiate uni in a small city, up in the North. Or a city based uni in a massive city.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NonC
Hi, EU applicant here. (so I really don't know much more about them than you can research really)
Well, they look like rather different courses, with the one at Durham being much broader. I think you should take into account both the flexibility of the degree and the way it is taught (they differ very much in both perspectives so I suggest you take another look at the course structure).
One more thing: Think about which kind of city are you willing to live in. Durham is much smaller as a city and the uni is also collegiate, which might make the experience a bit different for everyone. (Which college sent you an offer at Durham?)

The college that sent me an offer was John Snow which got completly renovated this year. Having also applied ( unsuccesfully ) to oxbridge I was amazed by the collegiate system but I fear that I will eventually get bored of the small city. In fact, I lived in a super large city when I was small but now I live in a small town near Paris and I always try to get out of it because there is nothing to do here.... But thanks I'll take that into consideration!
Original post by mnot
Both are well respected, neither are big "engineering" unis tho.

Do your prefer mechanical or general, read around the subjects & decide what you prefer and pick that course. Should you genuinly be at an impass: do you prefer a collegiate uni in a small city, up in the North. Or a city based uni in a massive city.

That is precicely why I hesitate so much. The name of durham was unknown to me before I applied and I kept reading some bad reviews regarding both of the courses which were quite frightening. I have been contacting students from both unis to make up my mind but I cannot believe how lost I feel. Thanks for the idea of pros and cons. It really comes in handy!
Original post by francisco.papa
That is precicely why I hesitate so much. The name of durham was unknown to me before I applied and I kept reading some bad reviews regarding both of the courses which were quite frightening. I have been contacting students from both unis to make up my mind but I cannot believe how lost I feel. Thanks for the idea of pros and cons. It really comes in handy!

Durham is very similarly regarded to UCL job prospects wise, its an excellent uni...

Quick Reply

Latest