a career in publishing and becoming an editor

Watch
Esmerussell
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm a first year history student, wanting to become an editor and have a couple of questions.
firstly, does the fact i haven't taken English for either a level or degree matter?
secondly, how much work experience would you recommend having to become an editorial assistant?
thirdly, how hard and competitive is it to become one seeing as it is a very competitive sector?
thank you for your help
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I know a few editors and editorial assistants whose undergrads were in law, stem subjects, theology or sociology.
I would recommend a lot of networking in the publishing industry, going to events and doing internships if possible.
The publishing sector is intensely competitive; many people benefit from their family relationships and those without assistance from family members have to be very patient as they make their own way.
Good luck!
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Esmerussell)
I'm a first year history student, wanting to become an editor and have a couple of questions.
firstly, does the fact i haven't taken English for either a level or degree matter?
secondly, how much work experience would you recommend having to become an editorial assistant?
thirdly, how hard and competitive is it to become one seeing as it is a very competitive sector?
thank you for your help
Publishing is a competitive sector and can be hard to break into. Work experience is key into getting your foot into the door. I have a family member who completed a degree in English who went on to work in Publishing. During her time at university, she took part in a lot of extracurriculars, for example, running the student newspaper. She also loves books, which is a good idea if you want to get into publishing! After university, she took a short paid internship in a small publishing house. After this, it was a few months (she attended a number of interviews) before she landed her first proper job in publishing and since then, she has built up a career and good contacts in this sector, and working in London.

It isn't necessary to complete a degree in English but you do need to show an interest in the field. Completing work experience and networking can help, and you do need to work hard and put the effort in. My family member says publishing isn't renowned for high salaries but she hugely enjoys the work that she does.
Esmerussell
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
I know a few editors and editorial assistants whose undergrads were in law, stem subjects, theology or sociology.
I would recommend a lot of networking in the publishing industry, going to events and doing internships if possible.
The publishing sector is intensely competitive; many people benefit from their family relationships and those without assistance from family members have to be very patient as they make their own way.
Good luck!
Thank you!
Esmerussell
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Publishing is a competitive sector and can be hard to break into. Work experience is key into getting your foot into the door. I have a family member who completed a degree in English who went on to work in Publishing. During her time at university, she took part in a lot of extracurriculars, for example, running the student newspaper. She also loves books, which is a good idea if you want to get into publishing! After university, she took a short paid internship in a small publishing house. After this, it was a few months (she attended a number of interviews) before she landed her first proper job in publishing and since then, she has built up a career and good contacts in this sector, and working in London.

It isn't necessary to complete a degree in English but you do need to show an interest in the field. Completing work experience and networking can help, and you do need to work hard and put the effort in. My family member says publishing isn't renowned for high salaries but she hugely enjoys the work that she does.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (750)
41.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (357)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.46%

Watched Threads