After 8 years of french I am still at level B1

Watch
bolleblu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Title is self explanatory but it's so frustrating that my level of french is still so bad when I was supposed to take my A Level exam this year.

Can anyone suggest me what I can do at this point?
Could you also suggest me any good french-language shows?
Most importantly why I shouldn't give up learning it because it's starting to feel like a waste of time

Thanks
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by bolleblu)
Title is self explanatory but it's so frustrating that my level of french is still so bad when I was supposed to take my A Level exam this year.

Can anyone suggest me what I can do at this point?
Could you also suggest me any good french-language shows?
Most importantly why I shouldn't give up learning it because it's starting to feel like a waste of time

Thanks
Which part of French are you struggling with? (Vocab, grammar, listening, speaking, etc...)

Have you sought help from your French teacher? They should be able to help you or point you to resources that should make things clearer.

If you have Netflix, they do have French TV shows and movies.

You shouldn't give up learning if you have a A-Level exam this year! Identify your weaker areas and work on these. You could also practise your French with other students from your class if you are in contact with them
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
This was roughly my level when I was doing AS German. I would say that's a fairly decent level and you would get by with it if you were to move to France.

I have no suggestions other than reading in French and watching shows/films. My friends watched Friends in French when she was in 6th form, and I'm sure there's be stuff on youtube if you don't have Netflix.
bolleblu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Which part of French are you struggling with? (Vocab, grammar, listening, speaking, etc...)

Have you sought help from your French teacher? They should be able to help you or point you to resources that should make things clearer.

If you have Netflix, they do have French TV shows and movies.

You shouldn't give up learning if you have a A-Level exam this year! Identify your weaker areas and work on these. You could also practise your French with other students from your class if you are in contact with them
Listening and grammar are my main weak points. I do try to watch french shows but they are just not interesting

Thank you x
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi! I was meant to take my A-Level French this year too. Personally I'm revising grammar and all the vocab we learned across the A-level course, as well as doing comprehension exercises online and in a workbook our teacher gave us when schools shut. French shows, films, and books are a great way to improve comprehension and to learn lots of new vocabulary though. I don't know if you have Netflix but there are some great picks there. For French shows I would recommend 'Le Chalet' and 'La Foret' if you're into murder mysteries. 'Le Bazar de la Charité' (The Bonfire of Destiny) is also an entertaining but intense watch! I'm currently watching Dix pour cent (Call My Agent!) which is a fairly entertaining comedy if that's your style. For films I would highly recommend L'Ascension (The Climb). It's based on a true story about a man who decides to climb Everest to impress the woman he loves and quickly becomes a media sensation as a result. It sounds like a cliché but I found it to be a really moving story! It's also fairly easy to understand with French subtitles, which I would definitely recommend as opposed to English subtitles if you want full immersion to improve your comprehension. 'The African Doctor' is also a fantastic watch. If you want to be a bit more experimental though try 'J'ai perdu mon corps' (I lost my body) which is a short but symbolic animation film. I hope this helps!
Last edited by aconstanthamlet; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads