AQA A LEVEL Philosophy and Religion : existence of god topic?

Watch
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
In quarantine as a Y11, I've tried to go through some topics on the spec so I'm decently prepared come September (?). I've done quite a bit of research on the 'Existence Of God' topic, but it's been hard as there seems to be little to no revision resources online that fits my course and isn't locked behind a paywall. (if you know of any good free revision resources, feel free to suggest them haha!)

So far, I've researched about :
-Cosmological Argument (Aquinas, Hume's criticism)
-Religious Experience
-Design /Teleological Argument (Aquinas/Plato/Cicero/Paley, modern day scientists perspective)
-Ontological Argument (Anselm / Descartes, challenged by Gaunilo and Kant)

So, are all of these arguments necessary to learn for the course? Are all of the philosophers necessary to learn about, or are some not? I'm sorry for being such a pain, but knowing there's so much in this course, it won't hurt to at least know 1 topic decently.
(should this have gone in philosophy study help? I didn't know if a question relating to an a level spec should've gone there.)
skittlessh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
try search up ‘a level aqa philosophy and religion textbook free’ on the internet, something should come up hopefully!! did you do religious studies at gcse??
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by skittlessh)
try search up ‘a level aqa philosophy and religion textbook free’ on the internet, something should come up hopefully!! did you do religious studies at gcse??
I'm not proud of revealing this, but yep, I've searched up that exact phrase for all of my a levels. Maybe A Level materials are just harder to find than GCSE's, because that little trick allowed me to get workbooks for every single subject in GCSE's, but I can't find any for this specific course I'm on. And nope, unfortunately : my school didn't allow us to take RE as a GCSE option, but I've gotten on the course due to it being not just RE (50% RS, 50% Philosophy) and me getting good written grades.
skittlessh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by InspiredPleb)
I'm not proud of revealing this, but yep, I've searched up that exact phrase for all of my a levels. Maybe A Level materials are just harder to find than GCSE's, because that little trick allowed me to get workbooks for every single subject in GCSE's, but I can't find any for this specific course I'm on. And nope, unfortunately : my school didn't allow us to take RE as a GCSE option, but I've gotten on the course due to it being not just RE (50% RS, 50% Philosophy) and me getting good written grades.
i think it’s difficult to find that book since it’s not a (very) common course, maybe your school / sixth form has some resources they could email you? but the arguments u stated i’m pretty sure u need all of them for the course + look at the spec!! i did do RE at gcse so some of the arguments are the same which is super useful
Bethbxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Y13 student here. I just wanted to clarify that you really don’t need to cover the content just yet (I started revising for my A levels in the summer before Y12 and completely burnt myself out by the first month! I suppose it can’t be harmful in moderation. We were given this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Religio.../dp/1471866696 for the course which was incredibly helpful (it varies from college to college, spec to spec however. I have plenty of resources & can fill you in a little if you’d like. My email is [email protected]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (44)
32.35%
No - I have already returned home (16)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
19.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
27.94%

Watched Threads