The Student Room Group

Nursing degree interview

Hello ; I was wondering if any fellow nursing students could fill me in a bit around the interview process for the nursing degree to get into uni.
I know some uni’s do a 1-1 and others do a group interview and I was just looking for a bit more of what’s involved in them.
If my life depended on an interview I wouldn’t last much - I struggle with them , I’m not sure what it is about them. I already have a degree in Criminal Justice so academically I can do the work ; nursing means so much to me and I’m worried I get rejected for messing up the interview !
Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .
Reply 1
for most unis nowadays, ( from what i learnt this year ) is that they ask the usual questions 1. why do u want to be a nurse? 2. why this particular uni? 3. what qualities make a good nurse? etc. and some role play questions. for example at the uni i’m going to this year, i was asked to go through the steps i would take if i seen a rude comment about a patient online that a colleague had posted... i was also put into a group to do a group task. i think it depends on the uni, some do short 1-1 interviews others make a day out of it & have you doing all kinds haha !
Original post by Emma89!
Hello ; I was wondering if any fellow nursing students could fill me in a bit around the interview process for the nursing degree to get into uni.
I know some uni’s do a 1-1 and others do a group interview and I was just looking for a bit more of what’s involved in them.
If my life depended on an interview I wouldn’t last much - I struggle with them , I’m not sure what it is about them. I already have a degree in Criminal Justice so academically I can do the work ; nursing means so much to me and I’m worried I get rejected for messing up the interview !
Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .

Every university does it differently so it really depends on what unis you have applied to and also what branch of nursing. I have applied for both child and mental health. I've done 3 interviews for universities so far and received offers from all of them. I also struggle with interviews but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about them, they are never as bad as you think. I've had a mix of group and individual interviews. At one university, we had a presentation about the subject and then I was the first one to be interviewed. It was an individual interview and it lasted 20 mins then I got to go home so I ended up only being there for about an hour despite having travelled 3 hours to get there. At another university the process was a lot longer, again we had a presentation but, afterwards we had a group interview, an individual interview and an interview where children asked us questions. In terms of the actual interviews, I find group interviews to be the easiest and most enjoyable because they are less like an interview and more like a discussion. So there are usually 2 university professionals watching you and you will be in a group of 5-10. You'll be given a scenario to discuss and then you will probably get around 5-10 minutes to discuss it. An example of a scenario I got was about childhood obesity and whether children should be regularly weighed to monitor their weight. They also gave us a sheet with some headline news stories about the subject that we could talk about. Individual interviews are much more traditional. In my experience, I was asked why I wanted to do nursing, why I wanted to go to that particular university, what experience I had, and they sometimes also give you scenario questions. MMIs (multiple mini interviews) are also a common interview method for nursing applicants but these can not be carried out at the moment because they would usually require being at the university and this is not possible because of the coronavirus. My main piece of advice is just be yourself and make sure you are prepared. Be truthful and answer questions to the best of your ability, other than that good luck! If you don't get an offer it's their loss. Also, remember that some universities make you do maths and English tests at interviews so always check so you are fully prepared. If you have any other questions feel free to ask:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by oliviasibleyx
Every university does it differently so it really depends on what unis you have applied to and also what branch of nursing. I have applied for both child and mental health. I've done 3 interviews for universities so far and received offers from all of them. I also struggle with interviews but I honestly wouldn't worry too much about them, they are never as bad as you think. I've had a mix of group and individual interviews. At one university, we had a presentation about the subject and then I was the first one to be interviewed. It was an individual interview and it lasted 20 mins then I got to go home so I ended up only being there for about an hour despite having travelled 3 hours to get there. At another university the process was a lot longer, again we had a presentation but, afterwards we had a group interview, an individual interview and an interview where children asked us questions. In terms of the actual interviews, I find group interviews to be the easiest and most enjoyable because they are less like an interview and more like a discussion. So there are usually 2 university professionals watching you and you will be in a group of 5-10. You'll be given a scenario to discuss and then you will probably get around 5-10 minutes to discuss it. An example of a scenario I got was about childhood obesity and whether children should be regularly weighed to monitor their weight. They also gave us a sheet with some headline news stories about the subject that we could talk about. Individual interviews are much more traditional. In my experience, I was asked why I wanted to do nursing, why I wanted to go to that particular university, what experience I had, and they sometimes also give you scenario questions. MMIs (multiple mini interviews) are also a common interview method for nursing applicants but these can not be carried out at the moment because they would usually require being at the university and this is not possible because of the coronavirus. My main piece of advice is just be yourself and make sure you are prepared. Be truthful and answer questions to the best of your ability, other than that good luck! If you don't get an offer it's their loss. Also, remember that some universities make you do maths and English tests at interviews so always check so you are fully prepared. If you have any other questions feel free to ask:smile:

omg just stumbled across this and the bit about the children asking you questions intrigued me! what questions did they ask? i’ve done all my interviews and had a place confirmed for a children’s nursing degree but i’m just really interested hahahahaah
Original post by jd1202
omg just stumbled across this and the bit about the children asking you questions intrigued me! what questions did they ask? i’ve done all my interviews and had a place confirmed for a children’s nursing degree but i’m just really interested hahahahaah

haha yeah I've not seen or heard of any other places doing this apart from that particular uni. The children were actually really sweet, there were 2 of them and we were all interviewed by them on our own. Then there was also a university professional watching the interview. They just asked basic interview questions. They were given pre-made questions to read off of a sheet. Basic things like why do you want to be a nurse and why do you want to come to this university. One of the questions that I found difficult was "if you were going to give me a blood test how would you explain it to me". I was told afterwards though that our answers to the questions weren't particularly important, it was more about how we interacted with the children (whether we made eye contact, smiled and whether we engaged with both children). I did get an offer from that uni, but I've decided I don't want to go there. Oh and I was having a conversation with one of the university lecturers after and she told me that a couple of years ago after an applicant had been interviewed by the children one of the children said that this applicant made her feel lonely because she didn't engage with her and that's the main reason she didn't get an offer! Congrats on your confirmed place that's great!! What uni are you going to?
Reply 5
Original post by oliviasibleyx
haha yeah I've not seen or heard of any other places doing this apart from that particular uni. The children were actually really sweet, there were 2 of them and we were all interviewed by them on our own. Then there was also a university professional watching the interview. They just asked basic interview questions. They were given pre-made questions to read off of a sheet. Basic things like why do you want to be a nurse and why do you want to come to this university. One of the questions that I found difficult was "if you were going to give me a blood test how would you explain it to me". I was told afterwards though that our answers to the questions weren't particularly important, it was more about how we interacted with the children (whether we made eye contact, smiled and whether we engaged with both children). I did get an offer from that uni, but I've decided I don't want to go there. Oh and I was having a conversation with one of the university lecturers after and she told me that a couple of years ago after an applicant had been interviewed by the children one of the children said that this applicant made her feel lonely because she didn't engage with her and that's the main reason she didn't get an offer! Congrats on your confirmed place that's great!! What uni are you going to?

i got 2 unconditionals one from edge hill in ormskirk and one from liverpool john moores, thats honestly adorable i would have loved that interview hahahaha. the main reason i’m going into children’s nursing is because i honestly love kids, ive never heard of a uni do that before and it’s such a good idea. i suppose it gives the applicants a little taster of interacting with kids too doesnt it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending