Biomed vs Chemistry degree

Watch this thread
Alvx_
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I’m applying for dentistry (2021 entry) and for my 5th UCAS choice I’m stuck between Biomedical Sciences and a straight Chemistry degree. I’ve looked at the modules for both degrees from diff unis and I’m equally as interested in both course modules. So I was wondering which course offers better job prospects? Also, would I be able to go into research with both degrees?

Thank you!
kitkadd
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
it is better if you do biomedical science because it is more related to dentistry
the course has three main components. The first consists of subjects common to medicine and dentistry, progressing from biomedical sciences including behavioral
sciences, epidemiology, pathology and microbiology to human disease. The second includes oral and dental aspects of the biological sciences leading to an understanding of the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of oral and dental diseases and disorders, and the effects of systemic disease on the oral and dental tissues. The third covers the clinical and technical aspects of dentistry with the provision of comprehensive oral and dental healthcare for patients of all ages.
hence why it is more beneficial to choose biomedical science.
ang.x
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kadiatuj0001)
it is better if you do biomedical science because it is more related to dentistry
the course has three main components. The first consists of subjects common to medicine and dentistry, progressing from biomedical sciences including behavioral
sciences, epidemiology, pathology and microbiology to human disease. The second includes oral and dental aspects of the biological sciences leading to an understanding of the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of oral and dental diseases and disorders, and the effects of systemic disease on the oral and dental tissues. The third covers the clinical and technical aspects of dentistry with the provision of comprehensive oral and dental healthcare for patients of all ages.
hence why it is more beneficial to choose biomedical science.
okay thank you!! So after graduating biomed, what kind of jobs would I be able to do with the degree?
kitkadd
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Analytical chemist
Biomedical scientist
Biotechnologist
Clinical scientist, biochemistry
Clinical scientist, genomics
Clinical scientist, haematology
Clinical scientist, immunology
Forensic scientist
Medicinal chemist
Microbiologist
Physician associate
Research scientist (medical)
Toxicologist
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (66)
66.67%
No (25)
25.25%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
8.08%

Watched Threads