The Student Room Group

Nitrofurantoin for UTI/Kidney infection?

Do you urinate more on nitrofurantoin? I have a UTI that turned into a kidney infection and was prescribed nitrofurantoin. So far I've had three doses, and while my urine is no longer cloudy but pale and I've been drinking a lot, I'm still frequently urinating. I'm unsure whether this is how the nitrofurantoin is supposed to work, because I'm drinking a lot, or the infection is still the cause?
Lol it’s probably due to you drinking lots of water for the most part, but also the infection. It takes a while to go away, you MUST finish taking the whole course of antibiotics or else you could risk leaving a few harmful bacteria behind, that could be resistant to nitrofurantoin, and these will multiply in number. This drug is more commonly used for bladder infections however, as it is not as effective against kidney infections generally, but might be so in your case.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Do you urinate more on nitrofurantoin? I have a UTI that turned into a kidney infection and was prescribed nitrofurantoin. So far I've had three doses, and while my urine is no longer cloudy but pale and I've been drinking a lot, I'm still frequently urinating. I'm unsure whether this is how the nitrofurantoin is supposed to work, because I'm drinking a lot, or the infection is still the cause?

Nitrofurantoin is know to discolour urine to a dark yellow or brown colour so don’t be alarmed. Drink the normal amounts of fluid in a day. If you drink lots, you could “dilute” it.

Take the course regularly as prescribed and the entire course to prevent resistance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hariisawesome
Lol it’s probably due to you drinking lots of water for the most part, but also the infection. It takes a while to go away, you MUST finish taking the whole course of antibiotics or else you could risk leaving a few harmless bacteria behind, that could be resistant to nitrofurantoin, and these will multiply in number. This drug is more commonly used for UTIs however, as it is not as effective against kidney infections generally, but might be so in your case.

A kidney infection is a type UTI.

You are probably going more frequently because of drinking more and maybe because of the infection, the nitrofurantoin shouldn't do that.
If your urine is no longer cloudy, it sounds like the antibiotics are doing the trick. Keep going.

The urinary frequency will settle in time. Your urinary tract will still be quite inflamed and irritable even after the infection has gone. The body needs a little time to settle this.

Also, contrary to popular belief, drinking loads of water will not help your UTI - it will only increase your misery as you will have to urinate more often. Avoiding concentrated urine will help prevent UTIs, but it won't get rid of them any faster.
Original post by black tea
A kidney infection is a type UTI.

You are probably going more frequently because of drinking more and maybe because of the infection, the nitrofurantoin shouldn't do that.

My bad, I meant it is usually used to treat bladder infections as opposed to kidney infections

Quick Reply

Latest