V℮rsions
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So a while back I was thinking about doing an EPQ in Philosophy - more specifically the epistemology of God (what is God, how do ideas of God link into a common physicality etc) but that seems very hard to write without citing hundreds of books and reading all the holy scriptures lol.

Anyway, I decided to do ethics as my EPQ as it is still Philosophy and more easy to write about, but finding a topic is sooooo hard. I was thinking something like"the ethics of ___" or "is it possible to be ethical" but they are so broad as topics...
Any help in guiding me here? Thanks in advance!
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
death sentence?
moral is more interesting I think, there're the morality of killing (could be ethics arguably) in history. Someplace sacrifice human (maiden, sometime young children) life for gods protection, others let slaves fight to deaths, and slaves' life is completely dependent on owners. These were completely normal, viewed by everyone in society (they were actually hyped to see other human fight to death), so is ancient people inherently immoral? But they also create an image of a benevolence God who sacrificed himself for all the sins human have made? If moral a universal thing, do we have a roughly similar moral scale, or is it different from people to people and culture to culture?
On that note, sacrificing is also a good topic. Is sacrifice ever necessary, and under what condition? Does sacrifice human life for holy protection ever justifiable? Is sacrificing one life for one's loved one justifiable? for a stranger? 5 stranger? 1000 stranger? what is the limit? And in light of current view, if the lockdown goes on, how much of our freedom we are justified to have and to forfeit, in light of others' suffering?
sorry for being long and possibly boring, these are just things I have always fascinated about Not a philosophy student or anything, just some thoughts. If you ever go with one of these, I would love to hear the progress!
V℮rsions
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Arctic Kitten)
death sentence?
moral is more interesting I think, there're the morality of killing (could be ethics arguably) in history. Someplace sacrifice human (maiden, sometime young children) life for gods protection, others let slaves fight to deaths, and slaves' life is completely dependent on owners. These were completely normal, viewed by everyone in society (they were actually hyped to see other human fight to death), so is ancient people inherently immoral? But they also create an image of a benevolence God who sacrificed himself for all the sins human have made? If moral a universal thing, do we have a roughly similar moral scale, or is it different from people to people and culture to culture?
On that note, sacrificing is also a good topic. Is sacrifice ever necessary, and under what condition? Does sacrifice human life for holy protection ever justifiable? Is sacrificing one life for one's loved one justifiable? for a stranger? 5 stranger? 1000 stranger? what is the limit? And in light of current view, if the lockdown goes on, how much of our freedom we are justified to have and to forfeit, in light of others' suffering?
sorry for being long and possibly boring, these are just things I have always fascinated about Not a philosophy student or anything, just some thoughts. If you ever go with one of these, I would love to hear the progress!
The sacrificial morals you pointed out are fascinating, especially when you tie in and question the holy protection that the older civilisations believed in. Perhaps I might start researching the value of life in comparison to pleasing God. Something along the lines of "Does/Should [civilisation]'s sacrifice of people warrant them protection from God" or "How ethical is it to kill for God"

The points on personal morals reminds me of qualia, but based upon actions not sensations. The sacrifice of stranger for loved ones is also a heavily discussed topic I could link into my EPQ. I think some good things I could derive from this would be "Are morals subjective" or can they be depending on the situation (entertainment/ sport/ Religion/ advancement)

The ethics of giving up my freedom in exchange for others lives/suffering is such an amazing topic also, but I don't think I could justify that to my examiner lol. Comparing lack of freedoms to suffering in terms of how much damage they cause to society/the self is a great idea though!
I think I will take your advice on the sacrificial and religious elements of morals and research the utilitarianism pros/cons of religious sacrifice. Probably have a paragraph about Abraham to include the personal aspects (family > strangers) Thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.19%
I'm not sure (3)
2.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.81%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.31%

Watched Threads