The Student Room Group

Black and asian people disproprotionately affected by coronavirus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamie_1712
I’m not disputing it. If you actually read what I’ve been saying, I’ve explored the reasons as to why it’s happening. Having said that, there is still a lack of data, which is why I don’t think we should be drawing such conclusions this early. There are obvious reasons as to why and a lot of people are failing to see that unfortunately.

Some people have been suggesting it’s because the NHS is racist which is just absurd.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52574931

It's now been CONFIRMED.

"Black men and women are nearly twice as likely to die with coronavirus as white people in England and Wales, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The analysis shows the inequality persists after taking into account age, where people live and some measures of deprivation and prior health.

People from Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities also had a significantly higher risk of dying."

I look forward to your apology :smile:
Original post by ANM775

It's now been CONFIRMED.

"Black men and women are nearly twice as likely to die with coronavirus as white people in England and Wales, according to the Office for National Statistics.

The analysis shows the inequality persists after taking into account age, where people live and some measures of deprivation and prior health.

People from Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani communities also had a significantly higher risk of dying."

I look forward to your apology :smile:

I have nothing to apologise for. Everything I said still stands true. There are reasons why this is happening, it’s not basic the virus is racist and not because the nhs is racist.

“Robert Cuffe, the BBC's head of statistics, said the analysis cannot fully explain the reasons for the higher risk, because it does not take into account people's current health, whether they are in crowded living conditions, whether they are exposed to the virus through front-line roles - or other differences between communities that can increase risk”. Read the article, not the headline :smile:
Original post by zootzoot
Could u share any examples of hospitals not treating ill black or brown people, but instead only treating white people?

was that even my argument
Original post by zootzoot
So could u show us an example of this "InStItUtIoNaLiSeD RaCiSm" in hospitals in the UK?

Its kind of sad that u people try so hard to see racism in everything as we all know that if white people were being disproportionately effected, u wouldn't care.

At the end of the day, men are also being disproportionately affected, but there aren't any special BBC reports into that are there?

learn to actually read.

nowhere did I accuse white people of institutional racism 🙄
Original post by ANM775

It's now been CONFIRMED.

Welp, this is rather concerning.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/coronavirusrelateddeathsbyethnicgroupenglandandwales/2march2020to10april2020#analysis-of-covid-19-deaths-by-ethnicity-in-england-and-wales

'When taking into account age in the analysis, Black males are 4.2 times more likely to die from a COVID-19-related death and Black females are 4.3 times more likely than White ethnicity males and females.'

As a black girl with underlying health issues I'm completely terrified.
Then why are most images and evne videos we see are of dead old White people, not to mention a huge chunk of deaths are care homes are there care homes full of black and asians compared to White?

Just more "oh i'm not white look at me im a victim" mentality pushed by media

And you're not a minority either

Whites don't even make 10% of world population :rolleyes:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending