The Student Room Group

Henrietta Barnett in year admissions

Hi
I’m currently in year 8 and would like to join Henrietta Barnett as soon as possible. Does anyone know anybody in y8 who is leaving at the end of the year or are applying for independent school 13+ admissions. Thanks for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spacegirl3
Hi
I’m currently in year 8 and would like to join Henrietta Barnett as soon as possible. Does anyone know anybody in y8 who is leaving at the end of the year or are applying for independent school 13+ admissions. Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as hearing about someone leaving, and applying for the place. The in year admissions process is detailed on the school's website:
https://www.hbschool.org.uk/373/admissions/year-8-11

IN-YEAR ADMISSIONS (Years 8 11)

As a small, selective girls’ school, vacancies are rare. If a vacancy occurs after the Autumn Term of Year 7, those on the continued interest list for the relevant year group are required to take written tests in English and Mathematics, related to the candidate’s current curriculum year (we are unable to provide mock papers). The candidate who achieves the combined highest mark will be offered the place.

If candidates are ranked equally, the following criteria will be used to make a final decision:

[*] candidates who are ‘looked after’ under the provision of The Children Act 1989 or have been ‘previously looked after’[*]

[*] candidates who are eligible for Pupil Premium funding[*]

[*] geographical proximity to the School as measured by the London Borough of Barnet[*]

The Local Authority holds the continued interest lists for Years 8 11. Parents must contact the local authority if they wish their daughter’s name to be entered on the appropriate list or, alternatively, visit the In-Year Application Page on the London Borough of Barnet’s website https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-school-admissions.html

For more details see our Admissions Policy

Have you parents already put your name on the CI list for the school?
Original post by Isinglass
Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as hearing about someone leaving, and applying for the place. The in year admissions process is detailed on the school's website:
https://www.hbschool.org.uk/373/admissions/year-8-11

IN-YEAR ADMISSIONS (Years 8 11)

As a small, selective girls’ school, vacancies are rare. If a vacancy occurs after the Autumn Term of Year 7, those on the continued interest list for the relevant year group are required to take written tests in English and Mathematics, related to the candidate’s current curriculum year (we are unable to provide mock papers). The candidate who achieves the combined highest mark will be offered the place.

If candidates are ranked equally, the following criteria will be used to make a final decision:

[*] candidates who are ‘looked after’ under the provision of The Children Act 1989 or have been ‘previously looked after’

[*] candidates who are eligible for Pupil Premium funding

[*] geographical proximity to the School as measured by the London Borough of Barnet
[*]

The Local Authority holds the continued interest lists for Years 8 11. Parents must contact the local authority if they wish their daughter’s name to be entered on the appropriate list or, alternatively, visit the In-Year Application Page on the London Borough of Barnet’s website https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/schools-and-education/school-admissions/in-year-school-admissions.html

For more details see our Admissions Policy

Have you parents already put your name on the CI list for the school?

[*]
Thx for ur reply. Yes I’m aware of this and my parents have put me on the list however the people on the list will only be invited to sit a test if someone leaves that is the reason for my inquiry. Are you also on the list or do you currently attend hbs or are you just very familiar with this?😀. Thx for ur help. I look forward to ur reply
Hi
Just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this or is maybe in year 8 at hbs atm who could tell me more? Thx
You might get better responses on the 11 plus forum
Original post by ReadingMum

Thx for ur suggestion but I’m not applying for 11+ entry. Thx anyway
Anyone else know anything? I would really appreciate it. Thx
(edited 4 years ago)

Thx for ur suggestion but I’m not applying for 11+ entry. Thx anyway

I know but there are a lot of people who know about hbs and carry on posting after the 11+
I know but there are a lot of people who know about hbs and carry on posting after the 11+

Really? Is this a forum on TSR? Thx
No - it is a separate forum. Probably not allowed to link to a separate site but a quick google should find it.
No - it is a separate forum. Probably not allowed to link to a separate site but a quick google should find it.

I think I know which one you mean, I’ve looked before and couldn’t find much. If you know anything ur self pls post on this forum or message me personally. I would really appreciate it. Thx
I think I know which one you mean, I’ve looked before and couldn’t find much. If you know anything ur self pls post on this forum or message me personally. I would really appreciate it. Thx

Afraid not - I only notice mentions of it as my mum went there (an awfully long time ago). My daughter went to a different grammar so I spent a lot of time on that forum for while during the run up.
Afraid not - I only notice mentions of it as my mum went there (an awfully long time ago). My daughter went to a different grammar so I spent a lot of time on that forum for while during the run up.

Ok thanks anyway. I appreciate it. If anyone knows anything about year 8 admissions or just the school in general please let me know!!! Thx

They can't stop you applying and your parents can appeal - it doesn't need someone to leave.
Original post by Muttley79
They can't stop you applying and your parents can appeal - it doesn't need someone to leave.

Hi
Thx for ur reply. Because I’m doing in year admissions the only way to apply or appeal is for someone to leave. Thx anyway tho
Hi
Thx for ur reply. Because I’m doing in year admissions the only way to apply or appeal is for someone to leave. Thx anyway tho

That isn't true. If you apply and your application is refused you have a right to appeal. I'm a teacher at a selective school and we have appeals all the time for in year entry.
That isn't true. If you apply and your application is refused you have a right to appeal. I'm a teacher at a selective school and we have appeals all the time for in year entry.

Hi
Thx for ur suggestion but that isn’t the case in this borough you have to be denied for a place first. Thx anyway tho. If anyone else knows anything about year 8 admissions or just the school in general pls let me know !!!
Please continue to share. I’m especially interested in current students who could tell me more about the school. Thx
Hi
Thx for ur suggestion but that isn’t the case in this borough you have to be denied for a place first. Thx anyway tho. If anyone else knows anything about year 8 admissions or just the school in general pls let me know !!!

Sirry this is LAW - if you apply to any school and are refused admission then you have the right to appeal.
Sirry this is LAW - if you apply to any school and are refused admission then you have the right to appeal.

Hi. I really appreciate your help. It’s just that even if the appeal is successful I will only be able to start when a place opens up because someone leaves anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending