Watch
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/250181131
I usually take these for Breakfast and have them just before travelling to Work, so the in blood sugar it causes isn't of concern to me really thanks to the excercise of going Work. But now due to staying @Home due to COVID-19 sadly, I take em for Breakfast and then continue my studies whilst sitting down of course, so no excercise after taking em.

My concern is if the sugar level of em and/or how fast it's "release" is something to be worried about with regards to developing diabetes etc. I don't have a clue. What is their GI ? I believe low GI means slower release of the sugar, but it just doesn't say:mad: which so isn't helpful (and nor does the Sainsbury's or Waitrose equivalent say). One of my grandparents got it, so I may be more likely to get it, dunno. I made a switch to Brown rice to help reduce risk of developing diabetes as well and for dinner I usually have wholemeal Brown bread toast.

Thanks
Last edited by Anonymous370; 1 year ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous370)
Hey,

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/250181131
I usually take these for Breakfast and have them just before travelling to Work, so the in blood sugar it causes isn't of concern to me really thanks to the excercise of going Work. But now due to staying @Home, I take em for Breakfast and then continue my studies whilst sitting down of course, so no excercise after taking em.

My concern is if the sugar of em and/or how fast it's "release" is something to be worried about with regards to developing diabetes etc. I don't have a clue. What is their GI ? I believe low GI means slower release of the sugar, but it just doesn't say:mad: which so isn't helpful (and nor does the Sainsbury's or Waitrose equivalent say). One of my grandparents got it, so I may be more likely to get it, dunno. I made a switch to Brown rice to help reduce risk of developing diabetes as well and for dinner I usually have wholemeal Brown bread toast.

Thanks
I wouldn't take much notice of the GI of individual foods. It's just a number, and has very little relevance to diet because people don't usually eat one single food in isolation of others - and the GI score only relates to a single food. For instance, 'high GI' cereals are less high GI when they're put with milk.

Just follow the normal 'healthy eating' advice (the Eatwell guide) and, most importantly, stay the right weight for your height and get enough exercise if you want to minimise your chances of developing T2DM. Don't worry about all these numbers - they're often just a marketing exercise for companies to promote their foods as being 'low GI' when that, in fact, means pretty much nothing.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Type 1 or 2 diabetes?
I wouldn't be concerned about developing diabetes, as long as you eat healthy and do enough exercise you will be fine. If your BMI is in the normal range then you probably won't develop it. Additionally, if we are referring to type 2 diabetes, most people develop this when they are older and then they have a high BMI, so don't be concerend
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I wouldn't take much notice of the GI of individual foods. It's just a number, and has very little relevance to diet because people don't usually eat one single food in isolation of others - and the GI score only relates to a single food. For instance, 'high GI' cereals are less high GI when they're put with milk.

Just follow the normal 'healthy eating' advice (the Eatwell guide) and, most importantly, stay the right weight for your height and get enough exercise if you want to minimise your chances of developing T2DM. Don't worry about all these numbers - they're often just a marketing exercise for companies to promote their foods as being 'low GI' when that, in fact, means pretty much nothing.
Ah, thanks. With regards to getting enough excercise, it's hard because TfL suggest a 10-minute walk twice a day can improve your health, but with isolation prison we're all stuck in, we're meant to go out for excercise only once a day, which tbh just feels a bit hard on health etc, what do you think ?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah, thanks. With regards to getting enough excercise, it's hard because TfL suggest a 10-minute walk twice a day can improve your health, but with isolation prison we're all stuck in, we're meant to go out for excercise only once a day, which tbh just feels a bit hard on health etc, what do you think ?
Yes, definitely I agree. It's very difficult to get a decent amount of exercise at the moment, particularly if you don't have any static gym equipment at home like a bike or something. I wouldn't worry too much about the 'once a day' rule - it's not actually in the regulations, and if you want to go out for exercise for more than ten minutes, more than once a day that is fine and sensible, so long as you're sticking to the 2m social distancing rule
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lots of bodyweight exercises you can do at home with no equipment. You have 30 minutes to go out and exercise, go for a run or something
Anonymous370
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Yes, definitely I agree. It's very difficult to get a decent amount of exercise at the moment, particularly if you don't have any static gym equipment at home like a bike or something. I wouldn't worry too much about the 'once a day' rule - it's not actually in the regulations, and if you want to go out for exercise for more than ten minutes, more than once a day that is fine and sensible, so long as you're sticking to the 2m social distancing rule
Thanks PRSOM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (61)
37.2%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (17)
10.37%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (9)
5.49%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (39)
23.78%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
14.63%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.54%

Watched Threads